Paul Rodel is a corporate partner and a member of Debevoise’s Capital Markets, Private Equity and Latin America Groups. He represents clients in ...
Read Full Biography
Paul Rodel is a corporate partner and a member of Debevoise’s Capital Markets, Private Equity and Latin America Groups. He represents clients in the financial services, healthcare, insurance, technology and media industries in registered, private and offshore capital markets transactions.
Mr. Rodel is recommended by The Legal 500 US (2020) for Capital Markets, where clients note he is “responsive” and “knowledgeable.” In addition, Latin Lawyer (2015-2019) recommends Mr. Rodel as a leading Capital Markets lawyer in Latin America. Mr. Rodel has also been recognized as a leading lawyer in Capital Markets by IFLR1000 (2020), Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America.
Mr. Rodel publishes frequently on matters related to securities regulation and corporate governance, including, over the last two years:
- “Drugmaker Fine Shows SEC’s Renewed Disclosure Focus,” Law360 (August, 2019);
- “Market Trends 2018/19: Reverse Mergers,” Lexis Practice Advisor (August, 2019);
- “Debevoise Discusses SEC Disclosure Changes for Tech, Media and Telecom Firms,” The Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog (May, 2019);
- “The SEC/FDA Nexus: Best Practices for Publicly Traded Life Sciences Companies,” Bloomberg Law (November, 2018);
- “SEC Settles with Elon Musk and Tesla: Time To Review Your Disclosure Controls and Procedures,” Bloomberg Law (October, 2018); and
- “Debevoise Discusses the New SEC Cybersecurity Guidance,” The Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog (March, 2018).
He is also a frequent speaker on securities law and corporate governance issues, including, over the last two years:
- “Assessing and Managing the Risks Posed by Climate Change” in Risk Assistance Network and Exchange’s Climate Risk Management Webinar (March, 2019);
- “The SEC/FDA Nexus: Best Practices for Publicly Traded Life Sciences Companies” at a Practicing Law Institute Practice Briefing (February, 2019);
- “Dual-Class Share Voting for Listed Companies: Are They Here To Stay?” at the International Bar Association’s Annual Meeting in Rome (October, 2018); and
- “Warp Speed Head: The Art of the Accelerated Book Build” at the International Bar Association’s International Financial Law Conference in Amsterdam (June, 2018).
Mr. Rodel serves on the International Bar Association’s Securities Law Committee as Senior Vice Chair. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law, Lawyers Alliance for New York and the Cold Spring Dance Company.
Mr. Rodel joined Debevoise in 2005 and became a partner in 2010. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from Tulane University, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa in 1992 (studies with distinction at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid in 1990–1991) and his J.D. from Columbia University School of Law in 1996, where he was a James Kent Scholar, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and editor-in-chief of the Columbia Journal of Transnational Law. Mr. Rodel began his career in the New York and Frankfurt offices of a leading international law firm and worked in the New York and Geneva offices of the management consultancy McKinsey & Company.
Mr. Rodel speaks fluent Spanish, Portuguese, French and German.
- Columbia Law School, 1996, J.D.
- Tulane University, 1992, B.A.