Peter Schuur is co-chair of Debevoise’s global tax practice. He advises on a broad range of U.S. and cross-border M&A transactions, with a focus ...
Read Full Biography
Insurance Industry and Asset Management Transactions
- American International Group in its $5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- Global Atlantic in the reinsurance of $9 billion of fixed annuities and other spread-based reserves of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses.
- The CF Corporation and The Blackstone Group in the $1.835 billion acquisition of Fidelity & Guaranty Life.
- Wilton Re in its acquisition of Aegon Transamerica’s two largest U.S. run-off businesses.
- New York Life Investments in its acquisition of a majority interest in Credit Value Partners, a distressed and high-yield debt investment management business.
- American International Group in its sale of its Japan life insurance business to FWD.
- Guardian Life in the acquisition by its subsidiary, Reed Group, of the absence management administration business of Aon Hewitt.
- Protective Life in its acquisition by reinsurance of certain in-force blocks of term life insurance from Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Company.
- StanCorp Financial Group in its $5 billion sale to Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company.
- Guardian Life in the sale of its majority ownership in eMoney Advisor, a leading wealth planning software company, to Fidelity Investments.
- Blackstone Group’s Tactical Opportunities Group in the acquisition of Philadelphia Financial Group from Tiptree Financial.
- American International Group in the sale of its Taiwan consumer and SME businesses to Nan Shan Life Insurance in Taiwan.
- Protective Life in its $5.7 billion merger with a subsidiary of Dai-ichi Life, a life insurance company listed on the Tokyo stock exchange.
- TIAA-CREF in its $6.25 billion acquisition of Nuveen Investments.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Wilton Re, a U.S. life insurance and reinsurance provider.
- Northwestern Mutual in its $2.7 billion sale of Russell Investments to the London Stock Exchange Group.
- Assurant in its investment in Iké Asistencia, a services assistance business with operations in Mexico and other countries in Latin America.
- GreyCastle Holdings in its $570 million acquisition, backed by a consortium of investors, of the run-off Life Reinsurance operations of XL Group.
- A private equity fund as lead investor in Altair Re, a reinsurance sidecar established by ACE Tempest Re, the Bermuda reinsurer.
- Global Atlantic Financial Group in its acquisition of the life insurance business of Aviva USA.
- Markel Corporation in its $3.13 billion acquisition of Alterra Capital Holdings, a listed Bermuda reinsurer.
- A subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway in its acquisition of Hartford Life International Limited, an Irish domiciled variable annuity writer, for approximately $285 million.
- TIAA-CREF in its partnership with Henderson Group PLC to create TIAA Henderson Real Estate Limited, a new global real estate investment management company, with total assets under management of over $63 billion.
- Pan-American Life Insurance in its acquisition of select businesses and assets from MetLife in the Caribbean, Panama and Costa Rica.
- Catlin Group in its £200 million rights issue, underwritten by JP Morgan and UBS.
- Pacific Life Insurance in its acquisition of the International Life Reinsurance segment of Scottish Re Group Limited.
Private M&A Transactions
- International Paper in the $1.8 billion combination of its North America Consumer Packaging business with Graphic Packaging.
- MBIA in the sale of its UK subsidiary to Assured Guaranty.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its investment in convertible preferred equity securities of an affiliate of Advanced Disposal Services.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of Tranzact Holdings, the leading provider of comprehensive, direct-to-consumer sales and marketing solutions for insurance carriers in the U.S., from White Mountains Insurance Group.
- International Paper in its $2.2 billion acquisition of Weyerhaeuser’s pulp business.
- HarbourVest Partners in its acquisition from Bank of America of the BAML Capital Access Funds group, a private equity fund-of-funds manager focused on opportunities with emerging managers, diverse managers, the lower middle market and other underserved markets.
- PharMEDium, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company and the leading national provider of outsourced compounded sterile preparations to acute care hospitals in the United States, in its $2.6 billion sale to AmerisourceBergen.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in tax matters relating to its $2.68 billion acquisition of a 50% stake in Bakken midstream assets from Hess Corporation, creating a joint venture that will be called Hess Infrastructure Partners.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its $12 billion acquisition of GE Capital’s sponsor lending business, including Antares Capital, the leading lender to middle market private equity sponsors in the U.S.
- Footprint Power in the sale of Salem Harbor Energy Station Project to Highstar Fund IV and Toyota Tsusho, an EPC Contract with Iberdrola Energy Projects, to build a 700MW state-of-the-art combined-cycle gas electric generating facility and a $730 million construction financing, a transaction awarded the Project Finance International “2015 Power Deal of the Year of the Americas” award.
- NCI Building Systems in its $245 million acquisition of CENTRIA.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a 60% stake in John Deere Landscapes, a unit of Deere & Company’s Agriculture & Turf segment, in a transaction valued at $465 million.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of PharMEDium, a leading provider of sterile compounding services to hospital pharmacies.
- The Carlyle Group in tax matters relating to its acquisition of The Foundry Holdings.
- Providence Equity Partners and Altegrity in the $520 million sale of Explore Information Services, a provider of database insurance technologies and e-government applications, to NYSE-listed Solera Holdings.
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition of Giannoni France.
- Altegrity and Providence Equity Partners in their $1.13 billion acquisition of Kroll from Marsh & McLennan.
- The Carlyle Group in its acquisition of a majority interest in CVC Brasil Operadora e Agência de Viagens S.A., the largest tour operator in Latin America.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of AcadeMedia AB.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of an approximately 20% equity stake in Aditya Birla Telecom, a wireless communications company in India.
Fund Formation Matters
- EQT in the formation of EQT Real Estate I, a €420 million European real estate fund.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in the formation of Global Infrastructure Partners III, a $15.8 billion infrastructure fund.
- EQT in the formation of EQT Ventures, a €566 million Europe technology/venture capital fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle Europe Partners IV, a €3.75 billion Europe buyout fund.
- EQT in the formation of EQT Credit Fund II, an €845 million Europe credit opportunities fund.
- Global Infrastructure Partners in the formation of Global Infrastructure Partners II, an $8.25 billion infrastructure fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle Asia Growth Partners IV, a $1 billion growth capital fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle MENA Partners, a $500 million growth capital fund focused on the Middle East and North Africa.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle Europe Partners III, a €5.4 billion European buyout fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle Sub-Saharan Africa Fund, a $698 million Sub-Saharan Africa fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle Europe Technology Partners II, a €530 million Europe growth capital/technology fund.
- The Carlyle Group in the formation of Carlyle South America Buyout Fund, a $1 billion fund, including Fundo Brasil de Internacionalização de Empresas Fundo de Investimento em Participações, together with Banco do Brasil, a R$400 million vehicle to invest in Brazil.
- University of Chicago Law School, 1992, J.D.
- University of Michigan, 1989, B.S.