William H. Taft V, based in the firm’s New York office, is a partner in the Litigation Department. His practice focuses on commercial and corporate ...
Read Full Biography
- A global cosmetics brand in a dispute related to a celebrity-endorsed line of fragrances, resulting in amicable termination of licensing and distribution agreement.
- Adidas America in obtaining summary judgment dismissing civil RICO claims related to payments received by high-school basketball players and their family members.
- The National Basketball Association in the negotiation and application of collective bargaining agreement provisions relating to player compensation.
- Lex Greensill, founder of Greensill Capital, in defending claims relating to supply-chain finance lending arrangements.
- AIG and its subsidiary, AIG Financial Products, in claims asserted in English courts and Connecticut courts arising from a deferred compensation plan.
- Blackstone Tactical Opportunities Advisors in obtaining dismissal of claims in a shareholder class action filed in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Adidas America in civil claims arising from the termination of an endorsement agreement with former NCAA basketball coach Richard Pitino.
- Chubb in multijurisdictional proceedings to enjoin the enforcement of foreign judgments obtained in violation of a U.S. District Court’s anti-suit injunction.
- Sberbank in multiple proceedings filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York relating to contested foreclosures.
- Westfield in defending against contract and fiduciary duty claims seeking damages in excess of $3 billion relating to past and future acquisitions of shopping malls.
- EM Limited in obtaining payment in full of an $849 million judgment against the Republic of Argentina arising from Argentina’s default on its sovereign debt, recognized as the 2016 Global Dispute of the Year by The American Lawyer.
- A Chinese private investment vehicle in a multijurisdictional dispute, including proceedings under the ICC and HKIAC rules, resulting in asset recoveries in excess of $1.7 billion.
- A major insurance company seeking to enforce contract rights related to a $5 billion M&A transaction in an ICC arbitration.
- An energy infrastructure company in successfully defeating a claim seeking termination of a 20-year service agreement.
- Overseas Private Investment Corporation, in winning dismissal of a multimillion dollar insurance coverage claim in AAA arbitration and an award of client’s costs and fees.
- The manager and majority member of an investment management company in ICDR arbitration and mediation proceedings.
- A publicly listed sporting goods company in a dispute arising out of a distribution agreement, winning dismissal of all claims for over €30 million in addition to an award of attorney’s fees.
- The Association of the Bar of the City of New York as counsel on an amicus curiae brief filed in CBF Industria de Gusa v. AMCI Holdings, Inc., Nos. 15-1133-cv(L), 15-1146-cv(CON) (2d Cir. Mar. 2, 2017) leading to the issuance of a revised opinion from the Second Circuit clarifying the legal analysis for enforcement of an arbitration award against a non-party to the arbitration.
- The Nature Conservancy in an action seeking relief for damage to the Atlantic Double Dunes nature preserve and defeating an adverse possession claim against Conservancy land.
- Supervising matters and representing clients in residential and commercial landlord - tenant disputes in coordination with Manhattan Legal Services, the Federal Defenders of New York, the Jazz Foundation for America and the New York Association for New Americans.
- The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court in Boumediene v. Bush and Al Odah v. United States, arguing that the continued detention of prisoners at Guantánamo Bay and the procedures of the military tribunals established to try those prisoners breached the international treaty obligations of the United States.
- New York University School of Law, 2004, J.D.
- Yale University, 2000, B.A.