The American Lawyer A-List
- Ranked #9 on The American Lawyer 2022 A-List and only firm to appear on the list every year since its inception. The A-List recognizes firms based on a combination of factors, including racial diversity and gender diversity.
- Recognized as the International Arbitration Firm of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation US Awards (2021). This is the fifth time that the firm has received this award—more often than any other firm.
- Recognized as Tier 1 National Litigation Firm in 2021 in six practice areas: General Commercial Litigation, Insurance, International Arbitration, Product Liability and Recall, Securities and White Collar Criminal/Enforcement/Investigations.
- Four Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 40 and Under Hotlist.
- Nine Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2022 Top 250 Women in Litigation list.
Chambers & Partners Awards
The following practices have been recognized as Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers USA Awards in 2021-2022:
- Intellectual Property (2022)
- International Arbitration (2021)
Chambers & Partners Rankings
- In Chambers USA 2022, 13 Debevoise lawyers were ranked Band 1 in 15 practice areas and 10 practices earned top rankings (Band 1) for the New York and/or Nationwide practice areas.
- In Chambers Global 2022, Debevoise is recognized for leadership in 37 practice areas worldwide and received Band 1 rankings in 17 categories. 11 Debevoise lawyers earned Band 1 rankings.
- For the 4th consecutive year, Debevoise again earned top rankings in three practice areas for Chambers Latin America and seven Debevoise lawyers were recognized for their exceptional work in the Latin American market. The firm is ranked Band 1 for Corporate Crime & Investigations and for International Arbitration.
- Four Debevoise practices were recognized in Chambers Europe and five lawyers were ranked individually.
- Eight Debevoise practices were recognized in Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Greater China, and seven lawyers were ranked individually.
Global Arbitration Review
- Winner of International Arbitration Practice that Impressed category ̶ GAR Awards 2020
- Named among the 2020 GAR 30, Global Arbitration Review’s definitive ranking of the world’s leading international arbitration practices.
- Recommended for Financial Services Regulatory in Hong Kong ̶ 2021
Latin Lawyer 250
- Recommended International Law Firm ̶ 2020
Private Equity International
- Advised on four matters honored by the 2020 Private Equity International Awards, including all three deals named in the Secondaries Deal of the Year in Europe category, and the winner of the Fundraise of the Year in Asia category.
- Inducted into the PEI Hall of Fame for having won 19 PEI Awards across North America, EMEA and Asia from 2001 to 2019.
- Consistently named among the top 50 U.S. firms in London.
The Legal 500
- In 2022, 16 Tier 1 practices and numerous Debevoise lawyers recognized as Legal 500 Hall of Famers, Leading Lawyers, Next Generation Partners and Rising Stars.
Debevoise is a charter signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, and has agreed to commit at least 5% of our annual billed time to pro bono matters. The firm was recognized by the following partner organizations and clients for our commitment to providing access to justice and the breadth of our pro bono practice:
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs awarded Debevoise with its 2022 Outstanding Achievement Award in recognition of the firm’s successful pro bono representation of former employees of Gali Services Industries in their wage theft lawsuit against their previous employer.
- The Office of the Appellate Defender in New York honored Debevoise with its 2021 Gideon Award for our exemplary commitment to the rights of indigent convicted defendants.
- The National Legal Aid & Defender Association gave Debevoise a 2021 Beacon of Justice Award for The Holloway Project, the firm’s initiative to fight for criminal justice reform and against racial inequality. For the past six years, Debevoise lawyers have worked to reduce excessive prison sentences that were required by harsh federal sentencing guidelines which Congress has since corrected. This effort, led by former federal prosecutor and former US District Judge John Gleeson, has already resulted in reduced sentences for more than 40 clients, erased more than 1400 years of their prison sentences, and won the release of 26 of those clients. You can learn more about the Holloway Project and hear directly from our clients here.
- Debevoise pro bono counsel Jennifer R. Cowan was awarded the 2021 Public Interest Law Leadership Award by The Legal Aid Society for her outstanding achievements overseeing the firm’s renowned pro bono program, through which Debevoise lawyers annually contribute 4,000 hours of free legal assistance to clients of The Legal Aid Society.
- Associate Marisa Taney was awarded the Rising Star Thurgood Marshall Award for Exceptional Commitment to Pro Bono Services as a lawyer who has demonstrated an exemplary commitment to pro bono legal service and who has provided or facilitated the provision of pro bono service in federal courts or agencies within the Second Circuit.
Diversity & Inclusion
Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index
Debevoise earned a 100% ranking and the designation as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality in the 2022 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, the nation’s foremost benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ workplace equality.
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Compass Award
Debevoise was a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity 2022 Compass Award recipient, recognizing the firm’s continued commitment to building a more diverse and inclusive legal profession.
Chambers Associate 2022 recognized Debevoise as one of the Leading Firms for D&I Culture, which is determined by a combination of factors, including hiring, mentoring, work allocation, promotion and policies related to mental health and parenting.
Law360 Social Impact Leader
Debevoise was named a 2022 Social Impact Leader by Law360 in its inaugural Social Impact ranking, recognizing the firm’s dedication to racial and ethnic diversity, gender equality, employee engagement and pro bono service.