The American Lawyer A-List
- Ranked #8 on The American Lawyer 2023 A-List and only firm to appear on the list every year since its inception. The A-List recognizes firms based on a combination of factors, including racial diversity and gender diversity.
- Recognized as the International Arbitration Firm of the Year at the Benchmark Litigation US Awards (2021). This is the fifth time that the firm has received this award—more often than any other firm.
- Recognized as Tier 1 National Litigation Firm in 2021 in six practice areas: General Commercial Litigation, Insurance, International Arbitration, Product Liability and Recall, Securities and White Collar Criminal/Enforcement/Investigations.
- Four Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2021 40 and Under Hotlist.
- Nine Debevoise women litigators were named to Benchmark Litigation’s 2022 Top 250 Women in Litigation list.
Chambers & Partners Rankings
- In Chambers USA 2022, 13 Debevoise lawyers were ranked Band 1 in 15 practice areas and 10 practices earned top rankings (Band 1) for the New York and/or Nationwide practice areas.
- In Chambers Global 2023, Debevoise was recognized for leadership in 47 practice areas worldwide and received Band 1 rankings in 18 categories. 16 Debevoise lawyers earned Band 1 rankings.
- In Chambers UK 2024, the firm is ranked as a leading firm in 13 separate areas, with 32 rankings for individuals in the guide, including 9 Band 1 rankings.
- Debevoise again earned top rankings in Chambers Latin America. In the 2024 edition, the firm continued its longstanding Band 1 rankings in International Arbitration and Corporate Crime & Investigations and its Band 2 ranking for Corporate/M&A. With respect to Corporate Crime & Investigations, Debevoise was one of only two firms to earn a Band 1 ranking.
- Seven Debevoise practices were recognized in the 2024 editions of Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Greater China, and there are eight rankings for individuals in the guide.
Global Arbitration Review
- Named among the top 30 arbitration practices in the world in the annual GAR 30 list, recognized as the definitive ranking of the world’s leading international arbitration practices.
Global Investigations Review
- Recognized by Global Investigations Review in its annual GIR 100 guide.
- Named Most Impressive Investigations Practice of the Year at the 2023 Global Investigations Review Awards.
- M&A Deal of the Year at the InsuranceAsia News Awards for Excellence 2023.
Private Equity International
- Inducted into the PEI Hall of Fame for having won 19 PEI Awards across North America, EMEA and Asia.
- Consistently named among the top 50 U.S. firms in London.
The Legal 500
- Fourteen practices ranked in Legal 500 UK (2024), including four Tier 1 rankings. The firm also has 31 rankings for individuals in the guide, including eight Hall of Fame listings.
- Seven practices ranked in Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2024), and nine individual rankings, including three Hall of Fame listings.
Debevoise is a charter signatory to the Pro Bono Institute’s Law Firm Pro Bono Challenge, and has agreed to commit at least 5% of our annual billed time to pro bono matters. The firm was recognized by the following partner organizations and clients for our commitment to providing access to justice and the breadth of our pro bono practice:
- Debevoise received a 2023 Institutional Cornerstone Award from the Lawyers Alliance for New York.
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs awarded Debevoise with its 2022 Outstanding Achievement Award in recognition of the firm’s successful pro bono representation of former employees of Gali Services Industries in their wage theft lawsuit against their previous employer.
- The Office of the Appellate Defender in New York honored Debevoise with its 2021 Gideon Award for our exemplary commitment to the rights of indigent convicted defendants.
- The National Legal Aid & Defender Association gave Debevoise a 2021 Beacon of Justice Award for The Holloway Project, the firm’s initiative to fight for criminal justice reform and against racial inequality. For the past six years, Debevoise lawyers have worked to reduce excessive prison sentences that were required by harsh federal sentencing guidelines which Congress has since corrected. This effort, led by former federal prosecutor and former US District Judge John Gleeson, has already resulted in reduced sentences for more than 40 clients, erased more than 1400 years of their prison sentences, and won the release of 26 of those clients. You can learn more about the Holloway Project and hear directly from our clients here.
- Debevoise pro bono counsel Jennifer R. Cowan was awarded the 2021 Public Interest Law Leadership Award by The Legal Aid Society for her outstanding achievements overseeing the firm’s renowned pro bono program, through which Debevoise lawyers annually contribute 4,000 hours of free legal assistance to clients of The Legal Aid Society.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index
Debevoise earned a 100% ranking and the designation as one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality in the 2023-2024 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, the nation’s foremost benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Compass Award
Debevoise was a Leadership Council on Legal Diversity 2021 Compass Award recipient, recognizing the firm’s continued commitment to building a more diverse and inclusive legal profession.
Chambers Associate 2023 recognized Debevoise as a Leading Firm for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, which is determined by a combination of factors, including hiring, mentoring, work allocation, promotion and policies related to mental health and parenting.