Over the past 80 years, Debevoise has been a leader in promoting the development of women in the legal profession. Our strong collaborative culture and flexible policies have given rise to several generations of women leaders—and will ensure the growth of those to come.
The numbers speak for themselves: More than half of our U.S. associates are women and, since 2008, more than 41% of promoted partners have been women. Further, Debevoise does not have a second tier or non-equity partnership. Each and every one of our women partners, whether recently promoted or more senior, is a full equity partner of the firm and receives identical compensation to every male partner in her class.
Debevoise women are distinguishing themselves in the top ranks of our firm leadership and in the legal community at large by providing world-class client service and leading important business relationships.
Mary Jo White
- Senior Chair of the Firm
- Leader, Strategic Crisis Response and Solutions Group
- Former Chair, Litigation Department
- Former U.S. Attorney for the SDNY
- Former Chair, Securities and Exchange Commission
- Former Director, The Nasdaq Stock Exchange
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations
Nicole Levin Mesard
- Deputy Presiding Partner
- Chair, Hiring Committee
- Co-Chair, Global Talent Initiative
- Former Deputy Chair, Corporate Department
- Former Member, Management Committee
- Lecturer-in-Law, Columbia Law School
- Co-Chair, Securities Litigation Practice
- Chair, Insurance Litigation Practice
- Former Member (for six years), Management Committee
- Co-Chair, Global Talent Initiative
- Co-Chair, Diversity & Inclusion
Mary Beth Hogan
- Co-Chair, Litigation Department
- Chair, Nominating and Governance Committee, Catalyst Board of Directors
- President, Board of Directors, Nazareth Housing
- Member, Board of Trustees, Armory Foundation
- Co-Chair, Public International Law Group
- Member, Management Committee
- President, American Society of International Law (ASIL)
- Former Counselor on International Law, U.S. State Department
- Life Member, Council on Foreign Relations
Rebecca F. Silberstein
- Co-Chair, Private Equity Group
- Chair, Private Investment Funds Committee, New York City Bar Association 2018-2021
- Chair, 2019 IBA Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds
- Co-Chair, Investment Funds Committee, International Bar Association
- Chair, Private Funds Subcommittee of the Investment Funds Committee, IBA 2020-2021
Maura Kathleen Monaghan
- Co-Chair, Commercial Litigation Group
- Co-Chair, Healthcare Group
- Member, Torts Drafting Committee, Multistate Bar Exam
- Member, Board of Directors, Advocates for Children
- Member, Advisory Board, Feerick Center for Social Justice
- Member, Friends of the Pelham Public Library
- Recording Secretary and Board Member, Fordham Law Alumni Association
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee
- Term Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Board of Trustees, Prep for Prep
- Selection Committee, Schwarzman Scholars
In recognition of the importance of a vibrant community of women, as well as a strong pipeline of women leaders at the firm, Debevoise has developed several resources to support women.
Women’s Resource Group
The Women’s Resource Group (WRG) serves as an important resource for our women lawyers, helping them to connect with other women across the firm’s practices, seniority levels and offices. WRG organizes social events to provide networking and mentoring opportunities, and offers “Tools of the Trade” and “Mind & Body” programs throughout the year.
Debevoise Women’s Review
The Debevoise Women’s Review is a website featuring original stories relevant to women and men committed to gender diversity, including interviews with trailblazing women, essays inspired by personal experiences, advice pieces for women navigating their careers—and more. Since launching in spring 2016, nearly 100 Debevoise lawyers have participated, contributing articles and serving in a variety of editorial and other roles.
The Next Generation
With our most senior generation of women partners beginning to retire, we remain focused on fostering the next generation of women leaders at the firm. To this end, Debevoise has developed a pipeline program for women lawyers.
In 1994, the firm broke industry ground when a female associate on a part-time schedule was promoted to partner. Today, Debevoise has promoted a number of women to partnership while on a part-time schedule or on maternity leave.
Debevoise’s market-leading and long-standing policies on childcare and reduced hours schedules are available to all lawyers. Our primary childcare leave policy provides a total paid leave benefit of 18 weeks post-delivery, in addition to any pre-birth disability leave, to any lawyer who gives birth and is the child’s primary caregiver. The firm also provides a technology allowance to all associates and counsel for purchase of a laptop or tablet.