The Women of Debevoise
Over the past 80 years, Debevoise has been a leader in promoting the development of women in the legal profession. Our strong collaborative culture and flexible policies have given rise to several generations of women leaders—and will ensure the growth of those to come.
The numbers speak for themselves: More than half of our U.S. associates are women and, since 2008, 40% of promoted partners have been women. Further, Debevoise does not have a second tier or non-equity partnership. Each and every one of our women partners, whether recently promoted or more senior, is a full equity partner of the firm and receives identical compensation to every male partner in her class.
Debevoise women are distinguishing themselves in the top ranks of firm leadership, in providing unparalleled client service and leading important business relationships, and in the legal community at large.
- Mary Jo White is Senior Chair of the firm and former Chair of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Maeve O'Connor is a member of the Management Committee
- Mary Beth Hogan is Co-Chair of the Litigation Department
- Maura Kathleen Monaghan is Co-Chair of the Civil Litigation Group.
- Nicole Levin Mesard is Deputy Chair of the Corporate Department and Chair of the Hiring Committee
- Catherine Amirfar served as a Counselor on International Law at the U.S. Department of State
- Retired partner Lorna Schofield is a Judge for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and was Chair of the American Bar Association’s Litigation Section
- Deborah Enix-Ross is Chair of the House of Delegates, the policy-making body of the American Bar Association
- Rebecca F. Silberstein is Co-Chair of the Private Equity Group.
In recognition of the importance of a vibrant community of women, as well as a strong pipeline of women leaders at the firm, Debevoise has developed several resources to support women.
Women’s Resource Group
The Women’s Resource Group organizes social events throughout the year to provide networking and mentoring opportunities, and sponsors panels and activities called “Tools of the Trade” and “Mind & Body.”
Debevoise Women’s Review
The Debevoise Women’s Review is a website featuring original stories relevant to women and men committed to gender diversity, including interviews with trailblazing women, essays inspired by personal experiences, advice pieces for women navigating their careers—and more. Since launching in spring 2016, nearly 100 Debevoise lawyers have participated, contributing articles and serving in a variety of editorial and other roles.
Working parents can tap into Park Bench, a group for both men and women that sponsors panels on parenting topics, such as paternity leave, child care options and school applications.
The Next Generation
With our most senior generation of women partners beginning to retire, we remain focused on fostering the next generation of women leaders at the firm. To this end, Debevoise has developed a pipeline program for women lawyers.
In 1994, the firm broke industry ground when a female associate on a part-time schedule was promoted to partner. Today, Debevoise has promoted a number of women to partnership while on maternity leave.
Debevoise’s market-leading and long-standing policies on childcare and part-time and flex-time schedules are available to all lawyers. Our primary childcare leave policy provides a total paid leave benefit of 20 weeks to any associate, counsel or partner who gives birth and is the child’s primary caregiver. The firm also provides a technology allowance that helps associates, particularly those who have adopted flexible or part-time arrangements, to work from home. All associates working part-time are provided with laptops to support their work needs.