Maeve O’Connor is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Securities Litigation Practice and Chair of the Firm’s Insurance Litigation Practice and spent ...
Read Full Biography
- Robinhood Markets and affiliates in multiple putative class action lawsuits arising from outages on Robinhood’s trading platform.
- Prudential Financial, John Hancock Life Insurance Company, AXA Equitable, Guardian Life, Massachusetts Mutual and Teachers in the successful dismissal with prejudice of a qui tam complaint, brought under the New York False Claims Act, seeking over $14.5 billion in damages for alleged failures to escheat life insurance benefits to the state. The dismissal followed successful representations of each firm in a years-long investigation by the New York Attorney General (NYAG) into the escheatment practices of the life insurance industry, at the conclusion of which NYAG declined to pursue the claims itself.
- MetLife in multiple securities class action and derivative lawsuits challenging the company’s estimates of liabilities for incurred but not reported claims.
- The Special Committee and independent members of the Board of Directors of Dell in defeating requests for a preliminary injunction and obtaining dismissal of 26 stockholder class actions challenging $25 billion going-private transaction.
- The Federal Reserve Bank of New York in obtaining dismissal of claims for over $40 billion against the Bank by the largest shareholder of AIG challenging the terms of a rescue loan the Bank provided to AIG during the 2008 financial crisis.
- Prudential Financial and certain present and former officers and directors in securities class action and derivative lawsuits arising from the company’s practices with regard to unclaimed life insurance benefits.
- Directors and officers of Cablevision in a derivative lawsuit related to executive and board compensation.
- J.C. Flowers in the dismissal of all claims arising from collapse of MF Global.
- The former Chief Financial Officer of Hertz in a securities class action lawsuit challenging Hertz's accounting arising from restatement of financial results.
- Providence Equity Partners in winning summary judgment in a shareholder class action lawsuit arising from Providence’s $1.9 billion acquisition of SRA International.
- The Special Committee of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia in multiple stockholder class actions challenging proposed sale of company to Sequential Brands.
- The Board of Directors of StanCorp Financial Group in multiple stockholder class actions challenging proposed acquisition of StanCorp by Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company.
- Protective Life Insurance Company in multiple stockholder class actions challenging proposed acquisition of Protective by Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company.
- The Board of Directors of Capital One Financial Corp. in obtaining dismissal with prejudice of a shareholder derivative action alleging that the board members breached their duty of loyalty by consciously disregarding their responsibility to oversee the company’s compliance with various anti-money laundering laws.
- Winged Foot Golf Club, along with certain present and former members of the Board of Directors of the Winged Foot Holding Corporation, in shareholder derivative and securities class action lawsuits pending in the Southern District of New York.
- The Special Litigation Committee of the Board of Directors of SandRidge Energy in evaluating and determining SandRidge’s response to claims brought in several shareholder derivative lawsuits.
- Yale Law School, 1995, J.D.
- Harvard University, 1990, B.A.