Christopher Smeall is of counsel based in Debevoise’s New York office. He is qualified in New York.
Mr. Smeall has a broad multinational transactional ...
Read Full Biography
Oil & Gas, Energy and Related Infrastructure
- Mitsui in a large-scale offshore oil and gas development project in Russia’s Far East (Sakhalin-2 Project) under a production-sharing agreement (total project cost approximately $20 billion).
- Petrobas in Cabiunas, EVM, Malhas Pipeline and REVAP Refinery Modernization projects.
- Mitsui, as co-leader of a consortium, in the construction, ownership and operation of a 1200 megawatt coal-fired electric power plant in Paiton, East Java, Indonesia.
- Mitsui in its purchase of a 50% interest in Brazos Wind Ventures from Padoma Resources I and joint venture with ShellWind Energy.
- Mitsui as lead equity investor in a $160 million financing of a floating production, storage and offloading unit to be installed in the Su Tu Den offshore oil and gas project in Vietnam, with senior financing provided by JBIC and a syndicate of banks.
- A Japanese utility company in its purchase of an interest in a multinational wind power business.
- Mitsui in its $250 million acquisition of Gas Participacoes Ltda. (Gaspart), a company that owns interests in seven local gas distribution companies in Brazil, from Global Petroleum & Gas Industry.
- Mitsui in the financing for the development of PDVSA's Anaco gas field in Venezuela, together with the Japan Bank for International Cooperation.
- A large Japanese investor in a significant investment in the U.S. Marcellus shale gas formation.
- The purchase by a significant Japanese investor of an interest in one of Brazil’s largest hydroelectric projects.
- Mitsui and Sumitomo Metal Mining in their joint venture and, as a consortium, acquisition of a 21% interest in the Goro Nickel Development Project, a $1.9 billion project to develop a cobalt-nickel mine in the Goro area of New Caledonia and construct a hydro-pressure acid leaching facility.
- Mitsui as part of a consortium in the consortium's minority investment in the $1.7 billion Collahuasi copper and gold mine project in Chile; also, a member of the consortium as lender to the project and a group of Japanese offtakers that will purchase copper concentrate production from the project.
- Various niobium supply and offtake arrangements in Brazil.
Chemicals, including Petrochemicals
- Showa Denko in the U.S. aspects of its acquisition of SGL GE Holding.
- Mitsui, the Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and a syndicate of international foreign lenders in the refinancing of the Tuban petrochemical complex in eastern Indonesia, which included a complex $400 million financing to a special purpose vehicle. Repayment of the financing turns on a swap of petroleum products.
- ALC Communications in the $1.8 billion sale of the company to Frontier Corporation.
- KWS in the preparation and negotiation of a license agreement with Monsanto relating to Roundup-Ready sugarbeets.
- Japanese lenders in a series of U.S. railroad financing transactions involving the purchase of high-speed train sets for Amtrak’s Acela line, three maintenance facilities located along the line, and the refurbishment of a number of locomotives.
- Aozora Bank, a Japanese bank, as lender in the $1.2 billion acquisition of Metaldyne by Asahi Tec.
- Penske Automotive Group in various transactions.
- UFJ Holdings in its $41 billion combination with Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group, creating the world’s then largest bank.
- Yale Law School, 1979, J.D.
- University of California at Berkeley, 1975, M.A.
- University of Michigan, 1973, B.A.