David Bernstein chairs Debevoise’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group. He is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading ...
Read Full Biography
Trademark and Trade Dress
- Merck KGaA in trademark infringement, false advertising cybersquatting, and breach of contract litigation against Merck & Co.
- Oliver Thomas in a complete victory at trial defeating MZ Wallace’s trade dress infringement claim involving a quilted handbag design.
- Yves Saint Laurent in defeating a motion for a preliminary injunction by Christian Louboutin over YSL’s red-soled shoes.
- Kate Spade in winning a verdict at trial defeating Saturdays Surf NYC’s trademark infringement challenge against the name of Kate Spade’s new global lifestyle brand, Kate Spade Saturday.
- Allied Domecq in obtaining dismissal of ownership claims filed by a Russian Federation entity related to the Stolichnaya trademark.
- WeWork, in securing a highly favorable settlement in a multijurisdictional trademark dispute with a coworking rival on the eve of a preliminary injunction hearing.
- PayPal in negotiating a favorable settlement with Pandora in a case addressing the protection of mobile app icons.
- American Express in winning summary judgment cancelling the trademark registration BlackCard.
- Goyard Saint Honore in preventing the sale by a prominent retailer of a woman's top that counterfeited the Goyardine pattern.
- Pernod Ricard in a trade dress litigation against White Rock over its infringement of the white bottle trade dress used for Malibu flavored rums.
- Louis Vuitton in litigations involving infringement and dilution of its S-Lock and Epi nontraditional marks.
- Cubaexport and Havana Club Holdings in litigations relating to the famous Havana Club brand of rum.
- VitaminWater in prosecuting a TRO against PepsiCo over the trade dress of LifeWater.
- New York & Co. in obtaining reversal of trebled damages following a jury verdict of trademark infringement.
- The International Trademark Association in amicus briefs filed in more than ten appeals, including before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Snyder’s-Lance in cancellation proceedings in the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, over the "Pretzel Crisps" trademark.
- Industrias AlEn in an ITC investigation and associated litigations over Pinol and Cloralex, which are well-known brands in Mexico, over Clorox’s claims of infringement of its Pine-Sol and Clorox trademarks.
- BodyArmor Nutrition in defense of a trademark infringement action brought by Under Armour.
- Mike's Hard Lemonade in obtaining a TRO against the trade dress for Seagram's Ricked Spiked Lemonade.
- Kind in a preliminary injunction hearing and Second Circuit appeal challenging the trade dress of Clif’s Mojo snack bars.
- Swiss Watch in overturning a judgment that its Trimix watches counterfeited Audamars Piguet’s federally registered Royal Oak watch design.
- Foundation Medicine in a California false advertising litigation filed by a competitor over methods of validating genomic assays of cancer cells.
- Novartis in obtaining a preliminary injunction against the deceptively named Mylanta NightTime.
- Unilever in false advertising claims against Just Mayo sandwich spread on the ground that the Just Mayo name is false because the product contains no eggs and therefore is not mayonnaise.
- Bayer in false advertising challenges against Merial, Sergeant's, Summit, Elanco, and Farnam over advertising for their competitive flea and tick control products for pets.
- American Express in false advertising challenges against Visa’s television commercials claiming superior card acceptance.
- Nestlé in back-to-back victories in false advertising disputes over advertising for Ross’s Isomil Advance and Similac EarlyShield baby formulas.
- Alcon in successful challenges in court and before the NAD against Bausch & Lomb advertising that falsely disparaged Alcon’s Opti-Free Express contact lens solution.
- BodyArmor in false advertising challenges filed by Gatorade before the NAD.
Internet and Domain Names
- Booking.com NV, one of the world’s leading digital travel companies, in its U.S. Supreme Court case – the first ever case argued by telephone in the Supreme Court – where the Court ruled 8-1 that Booking.com NV’s eponymous domain name is not generic and could register as a trademark.
- Novartis and Bayer in obtaining preliminary injunctions against the illegal importation of foreign pet medicines.
- The International Trademark Association in amicus briefs filed in the Chloé v. Queen Bee, Tiffany v. Ebay, Rosetta Stone v. Google and Ohio State v. Redbubble appeals.
- Kibar and the Law Society (UK) in litigation to enforce UDRP decisions over their eponymous domain names.
- Prada in successfully defending copyright infringement claims related to a design derived from a vintage Hawaiian shirt.
- Spectrum Brands in defending against a preliminary injunction for copyright and trademark infringement filed by Energizer against Spectrum’s new Rayovac battery packaging.
Patents and Trade Secrets
- Absolut Spirits in obtaining summary judgment dismissing trade secret and idea misappropriation claims relating to its sponsorship of a reality television show.
- Tilia in patent arbitration and ITC proceedings against Applica over its knock-off versions of the FoodSaver machines, sold under the Black & Decker brand.
- Galderma in successfully defending against multijurisdictional patent infringement claims involving its cancer drug Metvix.
- Yale Law School, 1989, J.D.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, 1986, M.S.
- Princeton University, 1985, A.B.