Duncan Pickard is an associate in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution and Public International Law Groups.
Mr. Pickard joined Debevoise in ...
Read Full Biography
- Freeport-McMoRan and Sociedad Minera Cerro Verde in an ICSID arbitration against Peru under the U.S.–Peru Trade Promotion Agreement, with claims of approximately $1 billion. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against its affiliate, which operates one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- SMM Cerro Verde Netherlands B.V. in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Government of Peru under the Netherlands–Peru BIT, with claims in excess of $250 million. The dispute arises out of the Government’s imposition of royalties, taxes, and penalties and interest against its affiliate, which operates one of the world’s most productive copper mines.
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in winning a $100 million award in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Peru relating to Peru’s agrarian reform bonds, which is the largest amount awarded against Peru in any treaty arbitration and the first decision finding Peru liable under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
- A publicly-listed mining company and its subsidiaries in a multibillion dollar arbitration against an African government seated in London under the UNCITRAL Rules.
- The State of Qatar and Qatari entities and individuals in international claims arising out of the measures imposed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt against Qatar, including in proceedings before the International Court of Justice against the United Arab Emirates, investment arbitrations and claims in other international tribunals.
- Stanford Law School, 2017, J.D.
- Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government, 2012, M.P.P.
- Tufts University, 2010, B.A.