Edwin Northover is an Asia-based, corporate partner, and Head of our Asian Insurance practice. Mr. Northover has a broad cross-border public and private ...
Read Full Biography
- Alibaba in the joint venture of its AliExpress business in Russia with the Russian Direct Investment Fund, MegaFon and Mail.ru, aimed at integrating Russia’s key consumer internet and e-commerce platforms.
- Resolution Life in its AUS$3.3 billion acquisition of AMP Life in Australia and New Zealand.
- AIA in its cornerstone investment in a Chinese healthcare online start-up, WeDoctor, and related preferred distribution arrangements.
- AXA in the acquisition of Bermuda-based XL/Catlin Group for $15.3 billion in connection with insurance M&A and regulatory matters.
- AIA Group in the 15-year extension of its exclusive regional bancassurance agreement with Public Bank, extending the partnership to 2037.
- AIA Vietnam in its exclusive bancassurance agreement with VPBank.
- AIA Group in its strategic bancassurance partnership with Bangkok Bank to distribute its insurance products in Thailand.
- AIA Group in its AUS$3.8 billion acquisition of CommInsure and Sovereign, the life insurance businesses of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Australia and New Zealand, and related 20 year bancassurance agreements.
- Prudential Financial in its life insurance joint venture with CT Corp in Indonesia.
- AIA Group in the extension of its distribution partnership with BCA in Indonesia.
- American International Group in its sale of its Japan life insurance business to FWD.
- FWD in the sale of its Hong Kong Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) and Occupational Retirement Schemes businesses to Sun Life Hong Kong Limited, and a 15-year strategic distribution agreement allowing FWD’s tied agency to distribute Sun Life’s MPF and ORSO products in Hong Kong.
- FWD in a 15-year bancassurance agreement with An Binh Bank in Vietnam.
- AIA Insurance Lanka, a subsidiary of Hong Kong-based life insurer AIA Group, in the sale of its stake in AIA General Insurance Lanka to Janakashi Insurance.
- Standard Chartered in a 15-year distribution partnership providing Manulife the exclusive right to offer its Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) product to Standard Chartered’s customers in Hong Kong, and the acquisition by Manulife of Standard Chartered’s existing MPF and Occupational Retirement Schemes Ordinance businesses.
- Ingenico in its strategic partnership with Fosun International and acquisition by Fosun of a 20% minority stake in Ingenico’s Chinese activities.
- AXA in the sale of its mandatory pension business in Hong Kong to the Principal Financial Group.
- AIA Group in its landmark exclusive bancassurance partnership with Citibank to distribute its insurance products to 11 countries in the Asia Pacific region. This was the largest ever bancassurance deal in Asia.
- AXA in its acquisition of 51% of Mercantil Colpatria’s insurance operations in Colombia for COP 672 billion.
- AIA Group in its $1.7 billion acquisition of ING's insurance businesses.
- AIA Group in the $109 million acquisition of Sri Lanka’s leading insurance company, Aviva NDB Insurance, from Aviva and Sri Lanka’s National Development Bank.
- Polyus Gold International in the sale of its Kazakh and Kyrgyz assets to a consortium of investors comprising Institute Project BV.
- Polyus Gold International in the $11 billion combination of KazakhGold Group Limited with Polyus Gold.
- Groupe Rasec in its acquisition of 80% of the JEB Group in locations in Asia including Singapore, Malaysia and China.
- Polyus Gold International in its $9 billion premium listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- Rockefeller Group International in its acquisition of a majority interest in the European real estate fund management group Europa Capital.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its £417 million acquisition of Bodycote Testing Group (now Exova) from Bodycote.
- Trustees of the 1983 Sea Containers Pension Scheme, the largest single creditor of Sea Containers Limited, in its concurrent U.S. Chapter 11 and Bermuda bankruptcy proceedings.
- United BioSource, a portfolio company of Whitney, Oak Hill and Berkshire Partners, in its acquisition of Envision Pharma.
- Rank Group in its $2.7 billion purchase of Alcoa’s packaging and consumer businesses.
- HarbourVest Partners on a number of European co-investments and exits.
- BPP Law School, 2003, L.P.C.
- University of Oxford, 2001, M.A.