Gareth Hughes is a partner in the firm’s Hong Kong office and a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group. His practice focusses on major ...
Read Full Biography
- Numerous international banks in various proceedings before the High Court in Hong Kong brought by customers in respect of allegations of mis-selling in connection with structured products and other investment products.
- Numerous financial institutions, listed companies and their respective executives in enquiries by the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission in connection with alleged breaches of the Securities and Futures Ordinance.
- A number of Hong Kong publicly-listed companies or their Independent Boards in investigations by the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the Securities and Futures Commission, the Independent Commission Against Corruption and other Hong Kong enforcement agencies, as well as in relation to the conduct of internal investigations.
- A Chinese private investment vehicle in a multijurisdictional dispute, including proceedings under the ICC and HKIAC rules, resulting in asset recoveries in excess of $1.7 billion.
- A major corporation which was the Claimant in ICC arbitration proceedings in a dispute arising out of a Singapore joint venture.
- A Hong Kong private hedge fund investor in a US$180m negligence claim against its auditors arising out of FX options trading losses which had been fraudulently concealed by the funds trader.
- A PRC state-owned group in Hong Kong in claims by bondholders for repayment of sums due.
- A PRC private equity fund in seeking the appointment of a Receiver by the Hong Kong High Court in support of an ICC arbitration over a private equity fund domiciled in Grand Cayman.
- Shiu Wing Steel Limited in its successful judicial review of the decision of the Environmental Protection Department regarding the construction of Hong Kong’s airport fuel facility.
- Numerous corporates and individuals in shareholder or joint venture disputes in Hong Kong and the People’s Republic of China.
- A major UK-listed company in investigating allegations of fraudulent practices and corruption within their PRC operations.
- A major U.S. corporation in an internal investigation into anonymous allegations about serious impropriety against two of its senior employees.
- A pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation into the misuse of medical records by a distributor.