Geoffrey Burgess is a corporate partner with a broad international practice that ranges from private equity and cross-border mergers & acquisitions ...
Read Full Biography
- SBM Ventures in its investment in mPharma, an Africa-based company that manages prescription drug inventory for pharmacies and their suppliers in various African jurisdictions.
- Prudential Financial, as the primary investor in LeapFrog Strategic African Investments (LSAI), in LSAI’s $180 million investment in Ghanaian financial services market leader Enterprise Group.
- Bregal Freshstream in its investment in TrueNoord, an independent aircraft leasing business that specialises in the regional aircraft market.
- Helios Investment Partners in the formation of a joint-venture with GBfoods targeting the African fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) sector, creating one of Africa's largest FMCG groups, operating in 30 African countries, including leadership positions in Nigeria and Ghana.
- Helios Investment Partners in its sale of a minority stake in Interswitch to TA Associates. Helios Investment Partners remains the majority shareholder following the transaction.
- A private equity fund in the subscription of subordinated convertible promissory notes in a Cayman Islands incorporated company which operates an energy business in Africa.
- Helios Investment Partners and its investment vehicle Samba Luxco Sarl in the settlement of claims made in an ICC Arbitration regarding Samba's stake in Africatel BV. The settlement involved reducing Samba’s stake in Africatel BV from 25% to 14%, and the transfer from Africatel BV to Samba of a 34% stake in Mobile Telecommunications Limited, the Namibian telecoms operator.
- Opportunity International in its sale of a majority stake in Kinshasa, a microfinance institution operating in the Democratic Republic of Congo, to VisionFund International.
- Prudential Financial in its $350 million partnership with LeapFrog Investments, targeting investments in life insurance companies in Africa.
- Helios Investment Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in Telkom Kenya from The Orange Group.
- Nereus Capital in its joint venture with Hareon Solar and Treasury Group to invest in solar projects in India.
- CHC Group in its $145 million asset-based loan financing.
- Modex in its acquisition of Gauthier Homes and Gauthiers’ Oilfield Rental.
- AIF Capital as a selling shareholder in the sale of certain female healthcare businesses of Famy Care, the world’s largest producer of oral contraceptive pills, to Mylan.
- Helios Investment Partners in its minority investment in Wananchi Group as part of a $130 million investment from Helios and existing shareholders.
- Helios Investment Partners in its investment in MallforAfrica, a Nigerian e-commerce company.
- American International Group in the $7.6 billion sale of its 100% interest in International Lease Finance Corporation to NYSE-listed AerCap Holdings N.V.
- Tribune in the acquisition by its technology and innovation arm, Tribune Digital Ventures, of What’s-ON, a leading television search and Electronic Program Guide data provider for India and the Middle East.
- Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in the formation of a joint venture with Aircastle to invest in leased aircraft.
- American Airlines in its agreements with Bombardier and Embraer to purchase, in aggregate, 90 new 76-seat regional jets with options to purchase up to 130 more.
- International Lease Finance Corporation in its acquisition of AeroTurbine from AerCap for $228 million.
- A large India-headquartered pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a UK pharmaceuticals company.
- Helios Investment Partners in the acquisition of a controlling stake in Interswitch, Nigeria’s largest electronic transaction switching and payment processing service provider, from several Nigerian banks.
- Central European Media Enterprises in its sale of the Studio 1+1 and Kino television channels to Igor Kolomoisky.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of up to a 49% stake in NYSE-listed CHC Group, the world's largest commercial helicopter operator with an enterprise value of $1.9 billion.
- Central European Media Enterprises in a joint venture with Ukrainian businessman Igor Kolomoisky, a CME director and shareholder, to unite operations of CME’s Ukrainian television group Studio 1+1 with Kolomoisky’s TET TV channel.
- Providence Equity Partners in its investment in Aditya Birla Telecom, an Indian wireless communications company.
- Argan Capital and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity in the sale of N&W Global Vending to Barclays Private Equity and Investcorp.
- Providence Equity Partners in its acquisition of a minority stake in Idea Cellular, a leading Indian mobile telecommunications firm.
- Sukhoi Civil Aircraft Company in its joint venture with Alenia Aeronatica (a division of Finmeccanica) for the manufacture of the Sukhoi Superjet 100.
- The shareholders of United Financial Group (UFG), an investment company, in the sale of a 60% shareholding in Deutsche Bank.
- Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity and BA Capital Partners Europe in their acquisition, as a consortium, of N&W Global Vending, an Italian vending machine company, from Compass Partners European Equity Fund.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Eurazeo and BAML Private Equity in their €3.7 billion leveraged buyout of Rexel.
- Columbia Law School, 1993, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1990, B.S.