John Gleeson is a trial and appellate lawyer and company advisor who was a federal judge for 22 years before joining the firm in 2016. He is a litigation ...
Read Full Biography
- A prominent hedge fund seeking advice regarding potential outcomes of a corporate criminal investigation, and how they might affect an investment opportunity.
- Appointed as amicus curiae to argue against dismissal of false statement charge in United States v. Michael Flynn, and to advise court regarding potential perjury prosecution.
- Corporate governance presentation to the Board of Directors of a major insurance company.
- Dozens of inmates seeking relief in federal courts around the country from onerous sentences resulting from outdated mandatory sentencing provisions that were disproportionately invoked against Black men.
- A death row inmate seeking a new trial based on explicit racial animus in jury deliberations.
- A major New York health insurance company and its subsidiary in a qui tam suit regarding the alleged engagement of half-billion dollar accounting fraud, obtaining a significant client victory in the form of a settlement and a complete voluntarily dismissal of the claims with prejudice.
- McKinsey & Company in multiple bankruptcy proceedings and a civil RICO action relating to its disclosures as debtor advisor.
- The Alavi Foundation in a civil forfeiture action, resulting in the successful reversal of adverse jury verdicts by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- A multinational bank in a challenge to an order imposing sanctions based on alleged spoliation of evidence.
- Forest Laboratories in a False Claims Act case, resulting in dismissal of all claims based on unethical conduct of plaintiff’s counsel.
- A global pharmaceutical company in a Board presentation regarding risk management, communication with senior management, and crisis prevention.
- A large insurance company in affirmative litigation against numerous physicians based on unjust enrichment.
- Expert witness in Greece on U.S. Deferred Prosecution Agreements, resulting in the acquittal of the client.
- Successful mediation of various commercial disputes involving claims of up to more than $1 billion.
- A multinational mining company in a civil action alleging securities fraud, resulting in a decision dismissing the complaint with prejudice.
- Two prominent individuals (in separate cases) targeted by extortion threats, resulting in both cases in the threatening parties abandoning their efforts.
- One of the world’s premiere law firms in a malpractice claim.
- A leading consulting firm in the complete dismissal of a civil RICO action.
- A multinational manufacturing company in connection with a Deferred Prosecution Agreement and a court-appointed Monitor.
- A multinational bank in affirmative and defensive litigation arising out of a large hotel chain’s data breach.
- Membership on a Special Litigation Committee of a Fortune 500 company.
- A leading federal judge in defending against a petition for a writ of mandamus relating to a jury nullification defense.
- A bank officer in the government’s RMBS-related FIRREA investigation.
- An internationally renowned law firm providing litigation advice regarding FIRREA.
- A prominent hedge fund in its dealings with the SEC regarding fee and expense remediation issues.
- A large insurance company in a putative class action challenging out-of-network reimbursement rates.
- A global insurance company in replacing the senior management of a subsidiary.
- A law firm and two of its partners in the government’s criminal and regulatory investigations of their client.
- The United States Department of Justice as a consultant in a civil rights matter.
- A leading developer of interactive entertainment in defense of claims privacy violations.
- Two large holders of intellectual property rights as the lead arbitrator in their contract dispute.
- University of Virginia School of Law, 1980, J.D.
- Georgetown University, 1975, B.A.