Jonathan Tuttle is a member of the firm’s Litigation Department. He has represented public companies, regulated institutions, boards of directors, audit and special committees of boards and individual directors, officers and employees in enforcement investigations and proceedings brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, FINRA and the PCAOB, as well as in securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, internal corporate investigations, and a variety of other securities and finance-related litigation and regulatory matters.
Read Full Biography
- An internal review for a special committee of a large retailer arising from a data breach.
- An internal review for the Audit Committee of a multinational agriculture biotechnology company into revenue recognition issues reported by a whistleblower to the SEC.
- An internal review for the audit committee of a large consumer finance company relating to accounting issues raised by a whistleblower.
- An internal review for a large national bank of accounting issues relating to the disposition of certain private equity investments.
- An internal review for a multinational technology company into revenue recognition and other accounting issues raised by a whistleblower in a foreign subsidiary.
- An internal review for the Audit Committee of BG Group relating to issues arising in an investigation by Italian authorities into allegations of corruption in a project in Brindisi, Italy.
- An internal review for a Special Committee of a leading online brokerage firm arising from a shareholder derivative demand relating to sales of auction rate securities.
- An internal review for the legal department of a multinational carmaker into allegations set forth by anonymous whistleblowers concerning internal audit and compliance issues.
- An internal review of a whistleblower allegation relating to tax reserves and other accounting issues at a major consumer products company.
- An internal review for a special committee of a European-based telecommunications company into revenue recognition issues raised by its auditors under Section 10A.
- An internal review under Section 10A for a large pharmaceutical company into a number of accounting issues raised in the press and related to the company’s restatement.
- Large non-bank financial institution in connection with an SEC investigation relating to various accounting issues in its mortgage origination and servicing businesses.
- KKR in its settlement with the SEC relating to the allocation of broken deal expenses between its investment funds.
- JPMorgan Chase in SEC and other regulatory investigations relating to the issuance of RMBS securities.
- One of the world’s largest financial institutions in SEC, FINRA and other regulatory inquiries relating to the Facebook IPO.
- Deutsche Telekom in United States Department of Justice and SEC investigations relating to payments made by its Hungarian subsidiary, Magyar Telekom.
- European member firm of a Big Four auditor in a PCAOB inquiry relating to auditor independence issues.
- Royal Dutch Shell in SEC and DOJ investigations, securities class actions and shareholder derivative actions arising out of Shell’s proved oil and gas reserves recategorization.
- Dollar General Corporation in securities class actions, shareholder derivative actions and an SEC investigation related to Dollar General’s 2001 restatement.
- MicroStrategy in an SEC investigation relating to the company’s restatement of accounting for sales of computer software.
- Barrick Gold Corporation in a successful resolution of a U.S. securities class action arising from its suspension of operations at its Pascua Lama mine and in a subsequent class action relating to another South American mine.
- A large media company in an SEC investigation relating to impairment and reserve accounting issues.
- Former CEO of Valeant Pharmaceuticals in government investigations and civil securities class actions and other litigation relating to the company’s restatement and sales practices.
- Outside Board members and Audit Committee of a healthcare company in government investigations relating to accounting and FCPA issues.
- Former senior financial executive of Lumber Liquidators in securities class action, shareholder derivative litigation, and government investigations arising from reports of tainted flooring products.
- Former senior executive of a biotech company in securities class actions, shareholder derivative litigation and an SEC investigation arising from the actions of certain investor and public relations firms hired by the company.
- Successful defense of a former senior financial executive of Fannie Mae in multiple securities class actions and other civil litigation arising out of the financial crisis.
- A former financial executive of AOL Time Warner in an SEC action arising out of the company’s restatement.
- The former CEO of a reinsurance company in securities class actions and individual lawsuits arising out of the company’s disclosure of losses from Hurricane Katrina.
- A successful defense of a senior financial executive of General Electric in an SEC investigation arising from the company’s restatements.
- Successful defense of former BISYS senior financial officer in an SEC investigation arising from a restatement.
- A former chief financial officer of an equipment leasing company in SEC and Department of Justice investigations into securities fraud.
- Successful defense of a former senior American International Group employee in an SEC investigation arising out of certain off-balance sheet transactions with a national bank.
- Successful defense of a hedge fund managing director in an SEC insider trading investigation involving PIPEs transactions.
- Harvard Law School, 1992, J.D.
- College of William & Mary, 1989, B.A.