Matt Saronson is a partner in the firm’s Tax Department whose practice focuses on advising sponsors and investors on the U.S. and international tax ...
Read Full Biography
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the formation of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Fund X, a $10 billion North America and Western Europe buyout fund.
- AAC Capital Partners in its sale of a $1.5 billion investment portfolio to a group of investors led by Goldman Sachs Asset Management.
- Akina in its European mid-market buyout funds of funds.
- Ares Management in the formation of Ares Europe Real Estate Fund IV, a $1.3 billion Europe real estate fund.
- Aureos Capital in its Latin America Fund, investing in Mexico, Central America and the Andean region.
- Baring Vostok Capital Partners in the formation of Baring Vostok Private Equity Fund V, a $1.5 billion Russia, CIS buyout fund.
- Baring Vostok in its Russian private equity funds.
- Deutsche Bank in its secondary opportunities funds.
- Exponent Private Equity Partners in its UK buyout funds.
- Exponent Private Equity Partners in the formation of Exponent Private Equity Partners III, a £1 billion UK buyout fund.
- Metric Capital Partners in the formation of MCP Private Capital Fund III, an €850 million European special opportunities fund.
- Morgan Stanley Private Equity Asia in its Asian buyout funds.
- Och-Ziff in its private equity funds programme investing in Africa.
- Park Square in the formation of its European mezzanine funds, including Park Square Capital Partners III, a €1.2 billion subordinated debt fund.
- Park Square in the formation of its credit opportunities funds, including Park Square Capital Credit Opportunities II, a $2.4 billion senior debt program.
- Prosperity Capital Management in its open and closed-end funds investing in Russia/CIS.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Helios Investment Partners in fund arrangement aspects of the IPO on the London Stock Exchange of Vivo Energy, the company that distributes and markets Shell-branded fuels and lubricants to retail and commercial customers in Africa.
- Motor Fuel Group in the financing and tax structuring of its £1.2 billion acquisition of MRH, the U.K.'s largest petrol station and convenience retail operator.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its exclusive discussions to acquire a 40% ownership interest in Belron.
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in its investment in Datamars.
- Helios Investment Partners in its sale of a minority stake in Interswitch to TA Associates. Helios Investment Partners remains the majority shareholder following the transaction.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $2.3 billion sale of Mauser Group, a leading global supplier of industrial rigid packaging products and reconditioning services, to Stone Canyon Industries.
- HarbourVest Partners in its £806.6 million acquisition of the investment portfolio of SVG Capital, a publicly listed investment fund. The acquisition followed an initial £1,015 million takeover offer by HarbourVest Partners for SVG Capital. The deal has been recognized by various industry award schemes, including the PEI Awards and being named Private Equity Deal Of The Year at the IFLR European Awards.
- HarbourVest Partners in its secondary acquisition of limited partnership interests from multiple sellers in funds managed by Indigo Capital Partners.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the financing and certain other aspects of its acquisition of BUT, the largest furniture retailer network in France, in a 50:50 partnership with WM Holding, a company related to the XXXLutz Group.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in tax aspects of its acquisition of Kalle, and the related financing.
- AltaOne Capital in its acquisition, with Silver Lake, of a 37.6% interest in Cegid Group, valuing the company at €580 million.
- HarbourVest Partners in its co-investment with IK Investment Partners in the Salad Signature group, a Dutch and Belgian food business.
- Prudential Financial in its $350 million partnership with LeapFrog Investments, targeting investments in life insurance companies in Africa.
- Dover Corporation on its €425 million acquisition of Tokheim Group’s dispensers and systems businesses.
- Nereus Capital in its joint venture with Hareon Solar and Treasury Group to invest in solar projects in India.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in tax and related financing aspects of its approximately £500 million acquisition, alongside management, of Motor Fuel Group.
- HarbourVest Partners as co-investor in the 2012 take-private of Omega Pharma, and its subsequent sale in 2014 to Perrigo Company for €3.6 billion.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in the sale of an approximately 12% stake in B&M for £384 million.
- HarbourVest Partners as a selling shareholder, together with Exponent, in the purchase of Trainline by KKR.
- SPIE in the €2.16 billion refinancing of its existing debt.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in tax aspects of its €1.2 billion acquisition of Mauser Group, a leading provider of industrial packaging.
- Petroleum Equity in its $133 million acquisition, through its investment vehicle Alpha Petroleum, of ATP Oil & Gas (UK) in the U.S. Chapter 11 cases of ATP's U.S. parent and the follow-on successful CVA proceedings of ATP UK.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its acquisition of a significant stake in B&M Retail.
- HarbourVest Partners in its $1.4 billion acquisition of the private equity fund interests and direct co-investments of Conversus Capital.
- Stone Point Capital in its sale of an interest in Securis Investment Partners, an insurance-linked securities manager.
- Ray Investment, whose shareholders were funds controlled by Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, Eurazeo, BAML Capital Partners and Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec, in a series of accelerated book-building offerings of Rexel shares valued in excess of €3.3 billion.
- The management team of ABN AMRO Capital, a private equity buyout firm with €3.1 billion of funds under management, in the sale of ABN AMRO Capital to the management.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in its $360 million acquisition of Nord Anglia Plc.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its €2.1 billion acquisition, with AXA Private Equity and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, of SPIE from PAI Partners; its acquisition of British Car Auctions, Europe's leading vehicle auctions and remarketing company; and its £417 million acquisition of Bodycote Testing Group, the laboratory materials testing business of Bodycote Plc; the private equity consortium of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice, The Carlyle Group and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity in their $15 billion acquisition of Hertz from Ford Motor Company.
- HarbourVest Partners on various matters relating to its direct and secondary investment programme.
- Park Square Capital in the restructuring of the Gala gaming group.
- Yeshiva University, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 1997, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, 1994, B.A.