Samantha J. Rowe is a partner in the International Dispute Resolution and Business Integrity Groups, whose practice focuses on international arbitration ...
Read Full Biography
- The State of Qatar and Qatari entities and individuals in international claims arising out of the measures imposed by the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Egypt against Qatar, including winning an order for provisional measures in proceedings before the International Court of Justice against the United Arab Emirates, investment arbitrations and claims in other international tribunals.
- A sovereign state in an arbitration brought under the Energy Charter Treaty and the UNCITRAL Rules relating to an alleged expropriation.
- A leading engineering, construction, and project management company in a potential investment treaty claim in the Middle East.
- A major U.S. oil company with respect to issues with respect to its offshore concession because of a border dispute between two neighboring countries.
- The Finnish manufacturer Oy Metsä-Botnia AB in its $1.3 billion greenfield investment in the Orion pulp mill project in Uruguay and the Case Concerning Pulp Mills on the River Uruguay (Argentina v. Uruguay) in the International Court of Justice.
- IMS Health Incorporated and its Latin American affiliates in a Spanish-language ICC arbitration relating to an alleged breach in Brazil, Mexico and certain other Latin American jurisdictions of a contract governed by Argentine law.
- An investment firm in two BIT cases against the Government of Laos under the ICSID Additional Facility Rules and the UNCITRAL Rules.
- A leading Brazilian company in a series of disputes totaling $400 million relating to an investment in a Brazilian food retail business. The representation includes two ICC arbitrations seated in São Paulo.
- ExxonMobil and Murphy Oil in a NAFTA claim against the Government of Canada arising from requirements imposed by the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Tribunal handed down its Decision on Liability and on Principles of Quantum ruling in favor of our clients that Newfoundland’s regulations violated NAFTA.
- Mitsui in its $5.8 billion bridge loan to Corporación Nacional del Cobre de Chile (CODELCO) to finance CODELCO’s potential acquisition of up to a 49% interest in Anglo American Sur, a wholly owned subsidiary of Anglo American.
- A construction company in its $600 million ICC arbitration with a major oil company over delays and additional costs in a project for the construction of a FPSO platform. The team represented the client in a three week hearing resulting in a confidential award.
- Postova Bank of Slovakia in investment treaty claims against Greece arising from the Greek debt restructuring.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- The UK Government as amicus curiae in litigation before U.S. federal courts and the United States Supreme Court.
- New York University School of Law, 2008, LL.M.
- University of Oxford, 2006, B.A.