Wen-Wei Lai, based in Hong Kong, is an international counsel and member of the firm’s Corporate Department, and M&A and Private Equity Groups. ...
Read Full Biography
Mergers & Acquisitions / Private Equity
- Goldman Sachs in various private equity investments in TMT, healthcare and other sectors in Asia.
- Clearwater Capital in its sale to Toronto Stock Exchange-listed asset management firm Fiera Capital Corporation.
- Wilsonart, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in the $150 million sale of its Asia Business to Aica Kogyo and the Development Bank of Japan.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in a $4.3 billion buyout of NYSE-listed Nord Anglia Education.
- A private equity portfolio company in its proposed acquisition of a chemicals company in Southeast Asia.
- Silicon Motion in its $3.8 billion sale, later terminated, to Maxlinear.
- Polyus Gold International in its sale of up to a $1.4 billion stake in PJSC Polyus to Fosun International. (Terminated)
- The Heart Clinic, a cardiology specialist medical practice, in its sale to Virtus Medical Holdings, a private equity-backed medical services provider, and the establishment of long-term operating arrangements.
- Ant Group in its agreement to form joint ventures with Mail.ru Group, USM, MegaFon, and RDIF in payments and financial services.
- Alibaba in the joint venture of its AliExpress business in Russia with the Russian Direct Investment Fund, MegaFon and Mail.ru, aimed at integrating Russia’s key consumer internet and e-commerce platforms.
- Credit Suisse in its investment in, and related economic arrangements with, an Asian alternative credit provider and asset management company.
- Hony Capital in its capacity as a strategic shareholder in the acquisition of naked Hub by WeWork Greater China.
- Capital Group in its acquisition of a 40% equity stake in InterGlobe Technology Quotient.
- Hony Capital in its strategic investment in, and related cooperation arrangements with, as well as follow-on investment and subsequent corporate restructuring transactions involving, the WeWork Companies.
- AIA in its potential investment in, and distribution arrangement with, Gojek, a Southeast Asian multi-service super-app ecosystem.
- Capital Group in its acquisition of an equity stake in Intas Pharmaceuticals, one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in India, from ChrysCapital, an India-focused private equity firm.
- Hony Capital in its investments in Nasdaq-listed FibroGen, a U.S.-based biopharmaceutical company.
- Ally Bridge in its PIPEs transaction with Nasdaq-listed Sorrento Therapeutics, a U.S. biotechnology company.
- Pfizer in its proposed $160 billion acquisition of Allergan and inversion transaction to re-incorporate in Ireland.
- Endo International in its $8.1 billion acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Holdings, its $1.7 billion sale of its Men’s Health business and its proposed $11.2 billion bid for Salix Pharmaceuticals.
- Covidien in the spin-off of its pharmaceuticals business, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals.
- Baxter International in the spin-off of its pharmaceuticals business, Baxalta Incorporated, and subsequent dispositions of its remaining holdings of Baxalta Incorporated common stock.
Private Fund Transactions
- HarbourVest Partners in various co-investments in FIG, healthcare, TMT, consumer & retail, education, industrials, infrastructure and other sectors in Australia, China, India, Japan, Korea and across Southeast Asia.
- Navis Capital in a fund restructuring involving the transfer of five portfolio companies into a new $450 million continuation fund vehicle.
- Baring Private Equity Asia in a fund restructuring involving the transfer of a portfolio company into a continuation fund. The transaction was named “GP-Led Deal of the Year in Asia” by Secondaries Investor in its annual awards.
- BVCF in a fund restructuring transaction involving the transfer of assets into a new fund capitalized by a sovereign wealth fund.
- Committed Advisors as the lead investor in a GP-led restructuring of Funds managed by Zodius Capital.
- HarbourVest Partners as the lead investor in the restructuring of an interest in Yifeng Pharmacy by Capital Today.
- Hollyport Capital as an investor in a RMB-USD fund restructuring by Kinzon Capital.
- Southern Capital in a fund restructuring involving the transfer of assets into new vehicles established for a consortium led by AlpInvest Partners.
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) in various SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S debt offerings with an aggregate amount in excess of $5 billion
- Taiwan Cement (TCC) in its $425 million GDR offering on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Various block trades by significant holders of Taiwan-listed stocks.
- Endo International in its SEC-registered offering of $2.3 billion of ordinary shares to finance its acquisition of Par Pharmaceutical Holdings.
- Endo International in a series of three Rule 144A/Regulation S offerings with an aggregate amount of $3.6 billion of high-yield notes to finance its acquisitions of three pharmaceutical companies (DAVA, Auxilium and Par).
- Sensata Technologies Holdings in its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $400 million of high-yield notes to finance its acquisition of Schrader International.
- Dentsply International in its private placement of $670 million of investment-grade notes to finance its acquisition of Sirona Dental Systems.
- The Chemours Company, formerly a subsidiary of DuPont, in its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $2.5 billion of high-yield notes to finance its dividend to DuPont as part of its spin-off from DuPont.
- BankUnited in a series of three SEC-registered follow-on offerings with an aggregate amount of $913 million of common stock.
- The underwriters in the $1.5 billion initial public offering and $696 million follow-on offering of Nasdaq-listed Markit .
- The underwriters in the $71 million initial public offering and $151 million follow-on offering of Nasdaq-listed Enzymotec.
- The underwriters in the $85 million initial public offering of NYSE-listed Evogene.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International in its Rule 144A/Regulation S offering of $900 million of high-yield notes.
- Gilead Sciences in its SEC-registered offering of $4 billion of investment-grade notes.
- AIA Group in various debt offerings with an aggregate amount in excess of $10 billion, including its $1.75 billion inaugural Tier 2 subordinated securities offerings in 2020, which was named “Bond Deal of the Year” by FinanceAsia in its annual Achievement Awards.
- AIA Group in various bancassurance and distribution partnerships in Australia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Prudential in its sale of Prudential of Taiwan to Taishin Financial.
- A consortium of private equity investors in the proposed acquisition through a competitive auction of equity interests in a privately-held insurance company in China.
- AIA Group in its AUS$3.8 billion acquisition of CommInsure and Sovereign, the life insurance businesses of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia in Australia and New Zealand, and related 20 year bancassurance agreements.
- American International Group in its sale of its Japan life insurance business to FWD.
- American International Group in its sale of its Taiwan P&C insurance business to Nanshan.
- Prudential Financial in its life insurance joint venture with CT Corp in Indonesia.
- Columbia Law School, 2012, J.D.
- National Taiwan University, 2006, LL.B.