Gavin Chesney is a solicitor advocate in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group and is based in the London office. His practice focuses ...
Read Full Biography
- Whiteleave Holdings, a company controlled by Vladimir Potanin, in a shareholder dispute involving Rusal, an aluminium company controlled by Oleg Deripaska, and Crispian, an investment vehicle controlled by Roman Abramovich.
- A construction company in its ICC arbitration with a major oil company over delays and additional costs in a project for the construction of a FPSO platform.
- A subsidiary of Hess Corporation in an English High Court dispute with a contractor over the construction of two offshore wellhead platforms.
- The owner and operator of a shipyard in its $1 billion dispute with a project finance vehicle formed by a consortium of a national oil company, commercial and development banks and other financial institutions, over the construction of drillships for use in deep water oil operations.
- A construction company in an ICC arbitration with a major oil company under an EPC contract for the construction of a semi-submersible drilling platform.
- A joint venture between several oil super-majors in a dispute over delays and defects in the construction works for a major new oil project in Central Asia.
- A joint venture between major oil and gas companies in ICC proceedings against a national contractor under an EPC contract for the construction of a major oil pipeline.
- A joint venture between Antofagasta Minerals and Barrick Gold Corporation, in an ICSID arbitration against the Government of Pakistan and a parallel ICC arbitration against the Government of Balochistan in disputes regarding a copper and gold mining project.
- A group of Kuwaiti investors in their dispute with a local Kazakhstani partner arising out of a joint venture for the exploration and development of oil fields in Kazakhstan.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- Interros in an agreement with Millhouse and UC RUSAL on settlement of the shareholders’ conflict, corporate governance and sale of shares in MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- A Spanish construction company in its dispute with a municipal authority of an Asian state over the design and construction of a desalination plant.
- A South Asian bank in its $200 million dispute with three shipbuilders concerning claims made under on-demand repayment guarantees.
- A major London-based mining company and its African subsidiary, one of the largest mining and metals companies in Africa, in four parallel LCIA arbitrations relating to a $500 million dispute with a major contractor over short delivery and other alleged breaches of a contract for mining services at an open cast copper mine in Southern Africa.
- A major US defence company in a long-running AAA arbitration with a UK defence company relating to contracts for the design and provision of defence products to sovereign states.
- A major South American iron ore company in several ICC arbitrations arising out of long-term supply contracts.
- A major European steel producer in its dispute with suppliers under a series of contracts for the provision of iron ore.
- A Canadian mining group in a dispute with the government of an African country, concerning claims of breach of the tax stabilisation and other provisions of an agreement for the operation of a copper treatment facility, and an expropriation of certain of the mining company’s rights.
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, 2006, L.P.C.
- University of Oxford, 2005, B.A.