Gavin Chesney is a solicitor advocate in the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group and is based in the London office. His practice focuses ...
Read Full Biography
- Sberbank in its successful challenge to the jurisdiction of the English High Court to hear a $300 million conspiracy claim brought by a subsidiary of Russian bank VTB.
- A major Russian bank in multiple proceedings across a number of jurisdictions, including England, arising out of the financial collapse of a major international oil refinery.
- A large Russian investment company in its defence of an LCIA arbitration claim brought by a Russian individual, relating to a corporate dispute with respect to a manufacturing group.
- The Russian Federation in several disputes brought by former subsidiaries of Yukos Oil under the Energy Charter Treaty, including an arbitration brought by Financial Performance Holdings relating to an alleged expropriation and other breaches. In that matter, the claimant withdrew its claims and we obtained a full costs order for our client.
- Whiteleave Holdings in a shareholder dispute involving Rusal and Crispian with respect to PJSC MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- A construction company in its ICC arbitration with a major oil company over delays and additional costs in a project for the construction of an FPSO platform.
- A subsidiary of Hess Corporation in an English High Court dispute with a contractor over the construction of two offshore wellhead platforms.
- The owner and operator of a shipyard in its $1 billion dispute with a project finance vehicle formed by a consortium of a national oil company, commercial and development banks and other financial institutions, over the construction of drillships for use in deep water oil operations.
- A construction company in an ICC arbitration with a major oil company under an EPC contract for the construction of a semi-submersible drilling platform.
- A joint venture between several oil super-majors in a dispute over delays and defects in the construction works for a major new oil project in Central Asia.
- A joint venture between major oil and gas companies in ICC proceedings against a national contractor under an EPC contract for the construction of a major oil pipeline.
- A joint venture between Antofagasta Minerals and Barrick Gold Corporation, in an ICSID arbitration against the Government of Pakistan and a parallel ICC arbitration against the Government of Balochistan in disputes regarding a copper and gold mining project.
- A group of Kuwaiti investors in their dispute with a local Kazakhstani partner arising out of a joint venture for the exploration and development of oil fields in Kazakhstan.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- Interros in an agreement with Millhouse and UC RUSAL on settlement of the shareholders’ conflict, corporate governance and sale of shares in MMC Norilsk Nickel.
- A Spanish construction company in its dispute with a municipal authority of an Asian state over the design and construction of a desalination plant.
- A South Asian bank in its $200 million dispute with three shipbuilders concerning claims made under on-demand repayment guarantees.
- A major London-based mining company and its African subsidiary, one of the largest mining and metals companies in Africa, in four parallel LCIA arbitrations relating to a $500 million dispute with a major contractor over short delivery and other alleged breaches of a contract for mining services at an open cast copper mine in Southern Africa.
- A major U.S. defence company in a long-running AAA arbitration with a UK defence company relating to contracts for the design and provision of defence products to sovereign states.
- A major South American iron ore company in several ICC arbitrations arising out of long-term supply contracts.
- A major European steel producer in its dispute with suppliers under a series of contracts for the provision of iron ore.
- A Canadian mining group in a dispute with the government of an African country, concerning claims of breach of the tax stabilisation and other provisions of an agreement for the operation of a copper treatment facility, and an expropriation of certain of the mining company’s rights.
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, 2006, L.P.C.
- University of Oxford, 2005, B.A.