Co-Chair of the Litigation Department, Mary Beth Hogan has a broad-gauged litigation and investigations practice that focuses on sensitive investigations ...
Read Full Biography
- The Board of Directors of CBS Corporation in an investigation of sexual harassment allegations against the CEO, senior CBS News personnel, as well as allegations about the corporate culture.
- Two prominent honor societies following allegations of misconduct by several of their members.
- A Special Committee of the Board of Trustees of the University of Rochester in an independent investigation of all claims alleged in EEOC and federal complaints filed by eight current and former University faculty members and students.
- Syracuse University in responding to inquiries by various law enforcement authorities which arose as a result of allegations of sexual abuse made against former Associate Head Coach of the University’s men’s basketball team. We are also representing the University in a defamation case that was filed against the University and its head basketball coach.
- Albany Diocese Sexual Misconduct Review Board in an independent internal investigation concerning allegations of sexual misconduct against the Bishop of Albany.
- The Boards of Trustees of a number of independent schools in allegations of improper conduct by teachers, coaches and administrators.
- The Board of a Human Rights Organization in an investigation into the facts and circumstances surrounding the solicitation, acceptance and knowledge about certain donations to the organization.
Financial Services and Civil Cases
- A leading mortgage servicer in federal and state regulatory investigations.
- UBS Financial Services, as lead trial counsel defeated claims brought by former UBS clients in connection with investment losses during the Fall of 2008. Following nine hearing days, the three-arbitrator FINRA panel denied all of the claimants’ claims.
- JPMorgan Chase in civil actions brought by the Massachusetts and New York Attorneys General in connection with mortgage foreclosure practices.
- JPMorgan Chase in the successful defense of multiple class actions, at the motion to dismiss stage, relating to mortgage servicers’ use of the Mortgage Electronic Recording System (MERS).
- A leading investment bank in a Sarbanes-Oxley whistleblower claim that settled favorably following two weeks of hearings.
- A financial services company in an internal investigation addressing allegations made by a senior female managing director that others in senior management had discriminated against her on the basis of gender.
- A major professional services firm in various tax-enforcement investigations.
Employment and Commercial Litigation Cases
- Sidley Austin LLP in winning a motion to dismiss a Section 487 claim (NY Judiciary Law) related to a multibillion dollar real estate investment.
- A leading medical device manufacturer in winning a multimillion dollar claim, and successfully defending a counterclaim, in an arbitration against its former parent.
- An insurance company in obtaining an extremely favorable settlement, just prior to its arbitration hearing, in connection with a lawsuit filed by its former CEO.
- Discovery, Inc. in a breach of contract and unfair competition action in which the plaintiff dismissed all claims voluntarily after Discovery filed its motion to dismiss in New York Supreme Court.
- A consortium of banks in a putative class action alleging violations of the WARN act.
- As lead trial counsel for an international bank, defeated all claims brought by 10 former directors and managing directors, plus prevailed on the bank’s counterclaim.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark, 1990, J.D.
- Princeton University, 1985, A.B.