Providing holistic legal services across a range of transactional, regulatory, intellectual property and contractual issues, the Debevoise FinTech practice is an interdisciplinary group of lawyers who focus on clients using technology to facilitate the provision of financial services. The team includes lawyers from Debevoise’s market-leading practices in intellectual property and technology, data privacy and cybersecurity, corporate transactions, and financial regulation and enforcement, and tax.
This wide range of expertise allows the group to:
Effectively work through the IP, regulatory and strategic matters at the intersection of technology and financial services,
Stay abreast of industry trends and regulations, and
Anticipate issues that may affect the development of applications, processes, products or business models.
The team is committed to providing the services and support that will assist clients as they revolutionize the financial services industry. Our market-leading Blockchain practice is emblematic of this trend.
The group’s representative services include:
- Blockchain token launches, initial public offerings, debt and equity offerings, venture capital investments, private placements, and follow-on offerings;
- Regulatory compliance with existing and developing requirements in the areas of financial regulation, privacy, information technology, data protection and cybersecurity, as well as ongoing advice related to these areas for mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, patent and software licenses, software-as-a-service agreements, information technology services agreements and other intellectual property aspects;
- Anti-money laundering and sanctions compliance;
- Technology implementation projects and development of systems.
FinTech lawyers regularly speak at industry events and do personalized presentations for clients.
Highlights of the team’s recent public representations include:
- Apex Fund Services in its sale to Genstar Capital, a leading middle-market private equity firm.
- The Argon Group on various regulatory issues.
- The Carlyle Group and Conifer management in the sale of Conifer Financial Services to SS&C Technologies.
- Coinbase in the creation of the Securities Law Framework for Blockchain Tokens and various legal questions concerning blockchain tokens and broker-dealer rules.
- Empowerment Ventures and its wholly-owned subsidiary UniRush in the sale of UniRush to Green Dot Company.
- Funding Circle on various regulatory issues.
- The Marketplace Lending Association in the submission of amicus briefs related to several actions brought by the State of Colorado.
- Multiple Blockchain projects on their token launches.