Mark Friedman is a litigation partner and a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group. His practice concentrates on international arbitration ...
Read Full Biography
- Claimant Tethyan Copper Company (jointly owned by Barrick Gold and Antofagasta Minerals) in an ICSID arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan and an ICC arbitration against the Pakistani province of Balochistan in disputes regarding a copper and gold mining project in the west of Pakistan.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- Perenco Ecuador in its BIT and contract claims against the Republic of Ecuador.
- An African state defending against damages claims asserted by an Asian investor under an investment treaty.
- An oil and gas company in its successful protection of its ownership interest in a Latin American oil and gas joint venture.
- A private equity fund in its successful assertion of put rights to exit a Far Eastern telecommunications company following breaches of its rights under a shareholders’ agreement.
- A European durable products manufacturer in alleged patent infringement and breaches of its supply obligations under a supply agreement with two U.S. companies.
- A European manufacturer in allegations by a U.S. supplier that its products were defective.
- An Asian EPC power plant contractor relating to responsibility for damages resulting from a massive earthquake in Latin America.
- A multinational EPC power plant contractor consortium relating to responsibility for a collapsing hillside in an Asian project.
- A Russian natural resources company in asserting claims against a defaulting purchaser.
- A European media company asserting claims against local business partners who had sold interests in an Eastern European company in violation of shareholder agreements.
- A European media company defending against claims that it wrongfully terminated a sales contract with a vendor.
- An Asian sales agent whose contract had been wrongfully terminated by a European arms manufacturer under false allegations of corruption.
- Central European Media Enterprises in its successful investment treaty arbitration against the Czech Republic, which resulted in a $360 million recovery for the client.
Compliance and Investigations
- Siemens’ Audit Committee in a worldwide investigation into possible corrupt payments to government officials leading to an early settlement with the U.S. and German authorities.
- A European insurance company investigating allegations that it had improperly recorded reserves.
- A pharmaceutical company in allegations that a subsidiary had violated anti-corruption laws.
- A consumable products manufacturer investigating allegations that it had violated trade restrictions imposed by the Office of Foreign Asset Control.
- An insurance company investigating allegations concerning sales practices and broker relationships.
- Yale Law School, 1991, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, 1988, B.A.