Mark Friedman is a litigation partner and a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group. His practice concentrates on international arbitration ...
Read Full Biography
- A leading global engineering and project management company in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising out of the construction of a multibillion dollar LNG plant.
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in an investment treaty arbitration against the Government of Peru arising under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
- Tethyan Copper Company Pty Limited in its $6 billion ICSID arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- Perenco Ecuador in its BIT and contract claims against the Republic of Ecuador.
- An African state defending against damages claims asserted by an Asian investor under an investment treaty.
- An oil and gas company in its successful protection of its ownership interest in a Latin American oil and gas joint venture.
- A private equity fund in its successful assertion of put rights to exit a Far Eastern telecommunications company following breaches of its rights under a shareholders’ agreement.
- A European durable products manufacturer in alleged patent infringement and breaches of its supply obligations under a supply agreement with two U.S. companies.
- A European manufacturer in allegations by a U.S. supplier that its products were defective.
- An Asian EPC power plant contractor relating to responsibility for damages resulting from a massive earthquake in Latin America.
- A multinational EPC power plant contractor consortium relating to responsibility for a collapsing hillside in an Asian project.
- A Russian natural resources company in asserting claims against a defaulting purchaser.
- A European media company asserting claims against local business partners who had sold interests in an Eastern European company in violation of shareholder agreements.
- A European media company defending against claims that it wrongfully terminated a sales contract with a vendor.
- An Asian sales agent whose contract had been wrongfully terminated by a European arms manufacturer under false allegations of corruption.
- Central European Media Enterprises in its successful investment treaty arbitration against the Czech Republic, which resulted in a $360 million recovery for the client.
Compliance and Investigations
- Siemens’ Audit Committee in a worldwide investigation into possible corrupt payments to government officials leading to an early settlement with the U.S. and German authorities.
- A European insurance company investigating allegations that it had improperly recorded reserves.
- A pharmaceutical company in allegations that a subsidiary had violated anti-corruption laws.
- A large consumer products manufacturing company in alleged violations of sanctions enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control within the United States Department of the Treasury.
- An insurance company investigating allegations concerning sales practices and broker relationships.
- Yale Law School, 1991, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, 1988, B.A.