Mark W. Friedman is a litigation partner and Co-Chair of the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Group. His practice concentrates on international ...
Read Full Biography
- Perenco Ecuador in securing an ICSID award against the Republic of Ecuador worth over $390 million plus interest, net of cost recovery and other factors, which is the largest compensation any tribunal has awarded in connection with Ecuador’s Law 42. Ecuador has committed to pay the Award voluntarily, unconditionally and in full.
- A leading global engineering and project management company in an UNCITRAL arbitration arising out of the construction of a multibillion dollar LNG plant.
- Gramercy Funds Management and Gramercy Peru Holdings in an UNCITRAL arbitration against the Government of Peru under the U.S.-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement, arising out of Peru’s measures relating to Agrarian Reform Bonds.
- Tethyan Copper Company in its $6 billion arbitration win against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, which is the second-largest ICSID award ever rendered.
- Norilsk Nickel and Interros International Investments in a dispute with United Company Rusal, including LCIA arbitration proceedings and related court litigation in the United States, England, Russia, Switzerland, St. Kitts & Nevis and The Netherlands.
- An African state defending against damages claims asserted by an Asian investor under an investment treaty.
- An oil and gas company in its successful protection of its ownership interest in a Latin American oil and gas joint venture.
- A private equity fund in its successful assertion of put rights to exit a Far Eastern telecommunications company following breaches of its rights under a shareholders’ agreement.
- A European durable products manufacturer in alleged patent infringement and breaches of its supply obligations under a supply agreement with two U.S. companies.
- A European manufacturer in allegations by a U.S. supplier that its products were defective.
- An Asian EPC power plant contractor relating to responsibility for damages resulting from a massive earthquake in Latin America.
- A multinational EPC power plant contractor consortium relating to responsibility for a collapsing hillside in an Asian project.
- A Russian natural resources company in asserting claims against a defaulting purchaser.
- A European media company asserting claims against local business partners who had sold interests in an Eastern European company in violation of shareholder agreements.
- A European media company defending against claims that it wrongfully terminated a sales contract with a vendor.
- An Asian sales agent whose contract had been wrongfully terminated by a European arms manufacturer under false allegations of corruption.
- Central European Media Enterprises in its successful investment treaty arbitration against the Czech Republic, which resulted in a $360 million recovery for the client.
Compliance and Investigations
- Siemens’ Audit Committee in a worldwide investigation into possible corrupt payments to government officials leading to an early settlement with the U.S. and German authorities.
- A European insurance company investigating allegations that it had improperly recorded reserves.
- A pharmaceutical company in allegations that a subsidiary had violated anti-corruption laws.
- A large consumer products manufacturing company in alleged violations of sanctions enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control within the United States Department of the Treasury.
- An insurance company investigating allegations concerning sales practices and broker relationships.
- Yale Law School, 1991, J.D.
- University of Massachusetts, 1988, B.A.