Debevoise & Plimpton LLP’s talented women litigators stand out in Benchmark Litigation’s just-released annual list of “the most distinguished women in the world of litigation.”
Eight Debevoise litigation partners were recognized by Benchmark Litigation in this year’s “Top 250 Women in Litigation” in the United States. In selecting these top Debevoise litigators, Benchmark stated, “Arguably armed with the highest number of top 250-level female talent of any competing New York firm, Debevoise & Plimpton boasts a whopping eight candidates spread across a broad spectrum of practices.”
The honorees represent a wide array of litigation expertise:
- Mary Jo White, Senior Chair of the firm and leader of the Strategic Crisis Response and Solutions Group, specializes in multi-faceted government investigations and white collar, SEC enforcement and internal investigations. Ms. White has decades of experience, having served as Chair of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and as a well-known private practitioner in high-profile matters.
- Mary Beth Hogan, Co-Chair of the Litigation Department, focuses on regulatory investigations and enforcement actions involving the Department of Justice, State Attorneys General, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, New York’s Department of Financial Services and other federal and state regulators. She also represents the boards of independent and other schools in connection with sensitive investigations.
- Catherine Amirfar, Co-Chair of the firm's Public International Law Group and a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group, routinely represents multinational corporations, sovereign states, and international organizations before international arbitration tribunals and U.S. court systems. From 2014-2016, Ms. Amirfar spent two years as the Counselor on International Law to the Legal Adviser at the U.S. Department of State.
- Helen V. Cantwell, partner, focuses her practice on white collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement actions and internal investigations. Prior to joining Debevoise, Ms. Cantwell served for eight years as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York. Benchmark notes “A peer testifies: ‘She's absolutely terrific and handles huge investigations with nuance and fervor.’”
- Maura Kathleen Monaghan, partner and Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation and Healthcare Groups, focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, including products liability and mass tort litigation, environmental, healthcare, regulatory and criminal investigations and arbitration. Benchmark notes “A peer asserts, she ‘has a photographic memory and unassailable writing skills’” and “competitors acknowledge how ‘skilled and savvy’ she continues to be.”
- Maeve O’Connor, partner and member of the Management Committee, focuses her practice on complex civil and commercial litigation. She has significant experience in defending securities litigation and in representing life insurance companies in a range of litigation and regulatory matters.
- Natalie L. Reid, partner, specializes in international arbitration, public international law and complex commercial litigation matters. Ms. Reid often acts as counsel in commercial and treaty arbitrations, and litigation concerning breach of claims, indemnification disputes, and shareholder class action and derivative suits.
- Shannon Rose Selden, partner, focuses on the investment management industry where she represents hedge funds and private equity firms. Ms. Selden has significant experience as lead counsel in state and federal courts and in advising on contested commercial matters.
This latest recognition further underscores the firm’s decades-long tradition of Debevoise women distinguishing themselves in the top ranks of leadership, and contributing to the development of generations of women leaders.
Winners were selected based on several phases of research, including review of recent case work, peer reviews and client feedback.
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP is a premier law firm with market-leading practices, a global perspective and strong New York roots. We deliver effective solutions to our clients’ most important legal challenges, applying clear commercial judgment and a distinctively collaborative approach.