Ted Hassi is a litigation partner and member of the Antitrust Group. Named as Antitrust Litigator of the Year in the Benchmark Litigation U.S. Awards 2019 ...
Read Full Biography
- Toyota in In re Rail Freight Fuel Surcharge Antitrust Litigation (No. II)
- Impax Laboratories in litigation arising from FTC claims regarding alleged anticompetitive “reverse payment” patent litigation settlements.
- A packaged seafood company in multi-district class action litigation over price fixing allegations.
- A generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in In re Generic Pharmaceuticals Pricing Antitrust Litigation.
- A pharmaceutical manufacturer against claims of market monopolization through their use of exclusive agreements with API suppliers of an injectable drug.
- A credit card issuer in In re Payment Card Interchange Fee and Merchant Antitrust Discount Litigation.
- A computer chip manufacturer in monopolization claims against an industry-leading chip manufacturer.
Merger Clearance and Litigation
- International Paper, a global producer of renewable fiber-based packaging and pulp products, in the separation and spin-off of its global printing papers business, Sylvamo, and related financing arrangements.
- ACME Markets, a division of Albertsons Companies, Inc., in advocacy to the FTC related to its acquisition of 27 Kings Food Markets and Balducci’s Food Lover’s Market stores from KB U.S. Holdings.
- Peabody Energy Corp., a leading coal producer, in the FTC’s challenge to its joint venture with Arch Resources, Inc.
- Covanta in its sale to EQT in a transaction valued at more than $5 billion, in which EQT will acquire all shares of Covanta common stock for $20.25 per share.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $6 billion acquisition and subsequent combination of Fort Dearborn and Multi-Color Corporation, to create the world's largest label solutions company.
- TPG Capital, Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe and Kindred Healthcare in the sale of Kindred Healthcare to LifePoint Health.
- Artera, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company and one of the nation’s largest providers of integrated infrastructure services to natural gas and electric industries, in its acquisition of Feeney Utility Services Group.
- Domtar in its $3 billion sale to Paper Excellence.
- Domtar in the $920 million sale of its personal care business to American Industrial Partners.
- The Great American Outdoors Group, the parent company of Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s, in advocacy to the FTC related to its acquisition of Sportsman’s Warehouse.
- Verizon in its $6.25 billion acquisition of Tracfone, the largest reseller of wireless services in the U.S.
- Clayton, Dubilier & Rice in its $2.9 billion acquisition of White Cap, a leading distributor of specialty concrete and construction products, and its combination of White Cap with CSG, a leading U.S. distributor of specialty concrete and masonry accessories, for a total transaction value of approximately $4 billion.
- Aveva Group, a global leader in industrial software, in its $5 billion acquisition of OSIsoft.
- PowerTeam Services, a Clayton, Dubilier & Rice portfolio company, in its purchase of Miller Pipeline and Minnesota Limited for $850 million in cash.
- Toyota Motor Corporation in its $394 million investment in Joby Aviation, an aerospace company that is developing and commercializing all-electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft to enable the deployment of fast, quiet and affordable air taxi services.
- Nonparty former Sabre Corporation executives in litigation brought by the DOJ to block Sabre’s planned $360 million acquisition of Farelogix, Inc.
- Reynolds Group and Closure Systems International (CSI) in their sale of CSI businesses and facilities to Cerberus Capital Management.
- Prudential Financial in its $2.35 billion acquisition of Assurance IQ.
- Perform in its combination with STATS, creating the world’s leading sports AI and data company.
- Elliott Management in its $683 million acquisition of Barnes & Noble, the largest retail bookseller in the U.S.
- American Express in its acquisition of Resy, a leading digital restaurant reservation booking and management platform.
- SouthernCarlson in its sale to Kyocera Corporation.
- Toyota Motor Corporation in its joint investment, with DENSO Corporation and SoftBank Vision Fund, in Uber’s Advanced Technologies Group.
- Bass Pro in its $4 billion acquisition of outdoor sporting goods retailer Cabela’s.
- Ardagh Group in its acquisition of $3.4 billion in divestitures from the Ball-Rexam merger.
- Honeywell in its litigation to block the merger of competing electronics manufacturers.
- Sysco in the FTC’s challenge to its $8 billion merger with food distribution rival US Foods.
- Halliburton in litigation brought by the DOJ to block its merger with Baker Hughes.
- A building products manufacturer in strategic acquisition of competitor.
- An aircraft parts manufacturer in multiple strategic acquisitions.
- A private high school in the DOJ’s investigation of D.C.-area private high schools’ decisions to stop offering Advanced Placement courses, which the DOJ closed without bringing an enforcement action or obtaining an admission of wrongdoing.
- A generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in FTC investigations related to “reverse payment” settlements.
- A trade association, acting as counsel in antitrust and intellectual property governance and compliance matters.
- An industrial manufacturer in an FTC investigation into exclusionary practices by an industry trade group.
- Various clients in confidential FTC and DOJ Antitrust investigations.
- Various clients, acting as antitrust counsel on industry-specific issues including compliance with interlocking directorate regulations, competitor collaborations, and other contractual arrangements, as well as corporate antitrust compliance investigations and programs.
- Fordham University School of Law, 1995, J.D.
- U.S. Naval Academy, 1986, B.S.