The 2019 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration recognizes 15 Debevoise & Plimpton LLP lawyers for their outstanding and widely respected work resolving complex international disputes.
The Debevoise team recognized in this year’s guide includes partners Catherine Amirfar, Donald Francis Donovan, Mark W. Friedman, Lord Goldsmith KC, Wendy J. Miles QC, Ina C. Popova, Dietmar W. Prager, Natalie L. Reid, David W. Rivkin, Samantha J. Rowe, Christopher K. Tahbaz and Patrick Taylor; international counsel Aimee-Jane Lee and Nicola Swan; and counsel Floriane Lavaud.
Additionally, the publication named Debevoise partners Catherine Amirfar, Donald Francis Donovan, Mark W. Friedman, Lord Goldsmith KC, Wendy J. Miles QC, Dietmar W. Prager, David W. Rivkin and Christopher K. Tahbaz as “Thought Leaders,” while third-time honoree partner Natalie L. Reid and counsel Floriane Lavaud have been recognized in the “Most Highly Regarded” section of the “Future Leaders” lists. Also noted as “Future Leaders” are partner Samantha J. Rowe and international counsel Aimee-Jane Lee and Nicola Swan.
Lawyers were selected for inclusion in the 2019 rankings based on nominations from peers and clients. A select group of lawyers who particularly stood out in this year’s research also received a short profile in the guide. These include:
- Catherine Amirfar: Who’s Who Legal notes Ms. Amirfar “draws praise as ‘an excellent advocate’ with a stellar investment treaty practice. Peers say, ‘She’s a star and does a superb job in complex cases.’”
- Donald Francis Donovan: Who’s Who Legal notes Mr. Donovan “is ‘an extremely talented practitioner’ who is ‘first-rate in arbitration cases’. He is well versed in international disputes and impresses clients with ‘his impressive capacity for understanding and scoping the conflict’.”
- Mark W. Friedman: Who’s Who Legal notes Mr. Friedman “is highlighted as ‘one of the best counsel there is’ in the US. He stands out as a ‘smart and fair’ arbitrator and enjoys an excellent reputation for his experience in commercial and investor state arbitration.”
- Floriane Lavaud: Who’s Who Legal notes Ms. Lavaud “stands out as ‘one of the most polished lawyers in the field’. She is recognised as ‘an up-and-coming leader in the field’ and is particularly recommended for her work on high-profile investment arbitration matters.”
- Aimee-Jane Lee: Who’s Who Legal notes Ms. Lee “comes highly recommended as ‘a consummate professional and lawyer’. She is known for her ‘very impressive’ work handling international commercial and public international law disputes.”
- Wendy J. Miles QC: Who’s Who Legal notes Ms. Miles “is ‘a very well-regarded practitioner’ and a standout name at Debevoise & Plimpton. She comes highly regarded for her ‘pragmatic and insightful advice’ in major public international law disputes.”
- Natalie L. Reid: Who’s Who Legal notes Ms. Reid “is recognised for her ‘growing reputation regarding international arbitration and public international law’. She is well known for her impressive experience handling disputes under various arbitral rules.”
- David W. Rivkin: Who’s Who Legal notes Mr. Rivkin “is ‘top of the list’ in the region, say peers, who speak highly of his excellent practice acting as both counsel and arbitrator. He is regularly engaged to act in major international disputes and enjoys a superb reputation as an ICSID expert.”
Debevoise & Plimpton is a premier law firm with market-leading practices, a global perspective and strong New York roots. We deliver effective solutions to our clients’ most important legal challenges, applying clear commercial judgment and a distinctively collaborative approach.