Debevoise & Plimpton LLP’s talented women litigators stand out in Benchmark Litigation’s Top 250 Women in Litigation. The annual list recognizes “the most distinguished women in the world of litigation.”
For four consecutive years, eight partners have been recognized in this latest review that underscores the firm’s decades-long tradition of Debevoise women distinguishing themselves in the top ranks of leadership and contributing to the development of generations of women leaders. The honorees represent a wide array of litigation expertise:
- Mary Jo White, Senior Chair of the firm and leader of the Strategic Crisis Response and Solutions Group, specializes in multifaceted government investigations and white collar, SEC enforcement and internal investigations. Ms. White has decades of experience, having served as Chair of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York and as a well-known private practitioner in high-profile matters.
- Mary Beth Hogan, Co-Chair of the Litigation Department, focuses on regulatory investigations and enforcement actions involving the Department of Justice, State Attorneys General, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, New York’s Department of Financial Services and other federal and state regulators. She also represents the boards of independent and other schools in connection with sensitive investigations.
- Catherine Amirfar, Co-Chair of the firm's Public International Law Group, a member of the International Dispute Resolution Group and the firm’s Management Committee, routinely represents multinational corporations, sovereign states and international organizations before international arbitration tribunals and U.S. and international courts. From 2014–2016, Ms. Amirfar served as the Counselor on International Law at the U.S. Department of State in the Obama Administration.
- Helen Cantwell, partner, focuses on white collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement actions and internal investigations. Prior to joining Debevoise, Ms. Cantwell served for eight years as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York. Benchmarknotes “A peer testifies: ‘She's absolutely terrific and handles huge investigations with nuance and fervor.’”
- Maura Kathleen Monaghan, Co-Chair of the Commercial Litigation and Healthcare Groups, focuses on complex commercial litigation including products liability and mass tort litigation and environmental, healthcare, regulatory and criminal investigations and arbitration. Benchmarknotes “A peer asserts, she ‘has a photographic memory and unassailable writing skills’” and “competitors acknowledge how ‘skilled and savvy’ she continues to be.”
- Maeve O’Connor is Co-Chair of the Firm’s Securities Litigation practice and Chair of the Firm’s Insurance Litigation practice and spent six years as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. She specializes in defending securities litigation and in representing financial services companies in a range of litigation and regulatory matters.
- Natalie Reid, a partner in the International Dispute Resolution Group and Co-Chair of Debevoise’s Caribbean practice, specializes in international arbitration, public international law and complex commercial litigation matters. Ms. Reid often acts as counsel in commercial and treaty arbitrations and represents states, multinational corporations, international organizations and non-governmental organizations.
- Shannon Rose Selden leads the firm’s Asset Management Litigation practice and is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation and Private Equity Groups. Ms. Selden has a broad practice representing hedge fund and private equity clients, as plaintiffs and defendants, in complex, high-stakes litigation.
Winners were selected based on several phases of research including review of recent case work, peer reviews and client feedback.