In the 2022 edition of Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP lawyers have again been recognized as leading arbitration practitioners for their exceptional work resolving complex international disputes.
The 19 lawyers recognized in this year’s guide demonstrate the firm’s deep bench strength. They include partners Catherine Amirfar, Donald Francis Donovan, Tony Dymond, Mark W. Friedman, Peter Goldsmith QC, Ina Popova, Dietmar Prager, Natalie Reid, David W. Rivkin, Samantha Rowe, Christopher Tahbaz and Patrick Taylor, international counsel Conway Blake, Aimee-Jane Lee and Cameron Sim, counsel Floriane Lavaud and associates Merryl Lawry-White, Julio Rivera Rios (recognized for the first time) and Laura Sinisterra.
Of note, Ms. Amirfar, Mr. Donovan, Lord Goldsmith and Mr. Rivkin were recognized as Global Elite Thought Leaders. Ms. Lavaud was elevated to the Arbitration 2022 Global Guide category from the Future Leaders category. Mr. Blake, Mr. Sim, Ms. Lawry-White, Mr. Rivera Rios and Ms. Sinisterra were recognized as Future Leaders.
The guide is compiled through independent research and nominations from peers and clients, including general counsel and arbitration lawyers in private practice. The commentary in this year’s rankings includes:
- Ms. Amirfar is “an extremely skillful advocate” and “a leading practitioner with broad experience” of international arbitration.
- Mr. Donovan is “a very experienced and respected arbitrator” who excels in high-stakes investor-state disputes.
- Mr. Friedman is “a very experienced arbitration counsel” with “exceptional attention to detail.”
- Lord Goldsmith is widely regarded as “one of the stars in arbitration.”
- Ms. Popova comes “highly recommended for commercial arbitration” and has a “remarkable reputation as a star.”
- Mr. Rios is "a very precise and assertive lawyer” with “excellent bilingual skills and intellectual capacity.”
- Mr. Rivkin is “a leading practitioner and arbitrator” whose “oral advocacy is beyond compare.”
- Mr. Sim is "a superb and unrelenting advocate” and "a force to be reckoned with.”
- Ms. Sinisterra is “poised, hardworking and very dependable” in sophisticated investment disputes.